Where did you go on your school trips?

I only went on two trips with the school - trips which meant spending a few nights away from the comfort of your own home.

Where did you get to on your school trips and did you enjoy them?

In May 1980 my class, M3G(uest) at Nethergreen Middle School went to Llangollen in Wales. I can still smell that Youth Hostel. It was my first time away from my parents and I was a bit worried but I did enjoy the trip. Only last year I returned to Llangollen and it hasn't changed much - although I believe the Youth Hostel might have closed.

In May 1981 in my final class at Nethergreen Middle, M4C(ooper) we went to Ilam in Derbyshire. I never worked out why we went here, it was a bit middle-of-nowhere. My main memory is of Adam And The Ants being played on the jukebox!

Of the two trips, Llangollen was the best. We had trips on the canal, walked up to these ruins and there was more to do.

So what are your memories of those school trips, many a summer back?

i loved the school trips, theres one that has always stuck in my head which is beamish, i will be taking my little one there this year. I remember going to some old mills with the big wooden water wheels. The school went away on an overnight stay once, but i wasnt allowed to go as i was a cronic sleepwalker and mum thought i might have come to some harm, so i stayed home:(

I went to Wisewood in the 1970's. We went on a walk on the coastal path in Cornwall staying in youth hostels, with Mr Doyle the science teacher (who we all fancied) we had a great time, except for the packed lunch provided by one hostel which was full of ants :gag:

I also went on the Schools Cruise around the mediterranean, 2000 kids on two cruise ships to Pompei, Venice, the Pyramids and Jerusalem, I can't remember where else. I have loads of memories from the cruise, but mostly of the boys, rather than the scenery - and Brut aftershave will always have a special meaning ;)

Skiing in Italy was another holiday, over New Year when I was 13 - I remember seeing red lettuce for the first time and us all refusing it, thinking it was flower petals, and when someone said the meal was horse meat an entire restaurant of kids refused to eat it :hihi:

A geography field trip in 6th form to Wales. I wish I could remember more, but as I left school straight after, ditching my A levels, probably it wasn't too good.

I was very lucky that mum and dad were prepared to let me go on so many trips, being the youngest I got to places my brother and sister never did. Unfortunately I have so little memory of the places I went to that I can't help but wonder if they were wasted on a child.

Of those I can remember Thornbridge, which was an over night thing. Whirlow hall farm which was also a stay over thing. France on a day trip. Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet on a day trip. Kelham Island Museum.

I should have gone to Thornbridge hall when I was in junior school but I had hurt my foot and wasn't allowed to go. I went on two cruises with secondary school, two weeks in the Med - first one cost £156 and the second was £175 :hihi:

Remember going to Cumbria on a geography field trip. Stopping up all night gambling and not winning a penny was a life lesson :rolleyes:

Those kids who had never touched a drop of alcohol before went ott too :hihi:

Remember Genesis -Turn it on Again on the old style jukebox with great bass! :D

Went on loads of day trips whilst at primary school.

At secondary school, we had the option of a week in the middle of the North Yorkshire moors, in a cottage that the school had bought and renovated. Went every year for the next 4 years.

The last school trip I went on, was a camping/walking week in the Lake District (culminationg with a climb to the top of Ska Fell Pike).

Archived