Where did you go on your school trips?

Remember Genesis -Turn it on Again on the old style jukebox with great bass! :D

Yeh - name the songs which remind you of your journeys!!

Another for me was Ten Pole Tudor's Swords Of A Thousand Men (during my trip to Ilam).

Also, Kim Wilde was the new thing and boy, she looked good (well before the days of hardy perennials and perigynous climbers).

Am i a brat lol? I went to Paris for a week...And Germany for another Week...then all these little trips ive been to Thornbridge for 3 nights, and some place called NedNook near Skipton for 5...and then all the usual day trips..kelham island...cadbury land..:)

Went to Paris in 1955, aged 13 and never forgotten many of the impressions.

There were 16 of us aged between 11 and 18, all boys. with 2 teachers and 1 French adult student-teacher.

The toal cost was 25 pounds and I took about 5 pounds spending money for 10 days. The cost included travel, full board and various day-trips. We set off from the old Sheffield Victoria Station at midnight for London. We younger ones were in a compartment with the French ' teacher ' and practically the first thing he did was hand the cigarettes round. As long as we actually didn't smoke in front of our regular French teacher [ who was himself a chain-smoker ], we could light up anywhere.

In Paris, after about 6 p.m. we were absolutely free until about 9 p.m. and about 4 of us, all aged about 13 used to try the local bars. Some would serve us, some wouldn't. Red wine was 4 old pence a glass and other wines a bit more expensive. A glass of champagne was about a shilling [ 12 old pence ].

Some memories----the marvellous French bread, the Eiffel Tower, Versailles, the Paris Zoo, our first French film, a walk round the Latin Quarter ; my only regret, looking back was that Piaf was alive then but I'd never heard of her and only ' discovered ' her about 5 years later.

I suppose nowadays the teachers in charge of us would either be dismissed or even charged with some criminal offence. After 49 years I can still speak reasonable French, after 5 years of lessons with an out-of-date book, a piece of chalk and a board------so I suppose our teachers must have had some qualities after all !

In the junior school I went on 1 every year.

In the first year we went to a youth hostel in Crowden.

In the second year we went to walesby camp.

In the third year we stayed in a youth hostel at Filey.

In the fourth year we stayed at a youth hostel in york.

Archived