Where did you go on your school trips?

Primary school residential in Wales. Shared a room with a girl who insisted on showing her boys her pants out of the window every night. Remember a mate had big yellow wellies and she'd get on your bed wearing them muddy from the beach and jumped up and down. We went to llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and the smallest house in Britain.

I also remember going to Scarborough and going on a pirate ship. Don't remember many more there!

Secondary school - a residential to Butlins in Minehead. Aged 11. We were bedhopping with the Kent lads from the school opposite! Billie Jean and Our house were the soundtracks and someone showing their bum in the swimming pool that had a glass side through to the restaurant. I was going out with a lad from my school at the time who was travel sick on EVERY journey! My memory of Wookie Hole is sitting on the bus helping him clean up!

Third year we went to Majorca windsurfing and the school took all age ranges -11-18! Huge big mistake, there wasn't another trip like it for years! :hihi: The holiday of posing photographs, burying people in the sand and building them a fake penis, pretending you were the woman on the yacht in Careless Whisper. I was in a bathroom with this lad drinking chocolate milk, he knocked the sink off the basin, cut his hand and it all got dreadfully messy! Water, blood chocolate milk, ceramic, screaming drunk teenagers!

Sixth form residential in Aysgarth. Fantastic time! Watched Stand by me, children of a lesser god and back to the future on this massive telly the teacher had lugged. Four of us stayed up most nights after going to the pub and played charades and whose line is it anyway? with strange kitchen utensils. :hihi: Went to Malham Cove, Sylvia Plath's grave and Howarth and made a special trip to Harry Ramsdams which involved us getting very lost. Made one of my best mates on that trip x and got really good mates with my (ex) long term partner but I was dating someone else at the time so it was all platonic.

Very happy memories!

My childhood was poor and sh***y, but the best thing of all was that where I grew up was half an hour from Dover, Ramsgate and Sheerness, so there were regular cheap school trips to Holland, Belgium and France. The most exotic was a week in an old Abbey on the banks of the Loire. Best of all was the countless times I got to visit Paris, even for the day. :cool:

Far from being homesick, I used to crave like a drug my escapes to these fabulous places and became famous for having nervous breakdowns of total terror on the journey back to Kent! God, I miss the sea...

We never stayed over anywhere - there were some of them at secondary school but they were legendary for debauchery so we were banned from going on them and they were too expensive anyway. :(

Always went on daytrips though - one of the best was in Matlock Bath where we bought fart cushions and hid them in our jumpers and blew them off at anyone we walked past. Then in 6th form we'd organise our own outings to London with no teachers and go wild for the day, beer sneaked on coach and all sorts.

I always laugh when I see troupes of kids in Whitby - they're always being run up the 199 steps in the evening to knacker them out before bedtime and the teachers look all wistful and sad as they have to walk past the pub with no chance of a pint. Bet there's a few bottles of Johnnie Walker stashed back at the youth hostel though. ;)

I only went on two trips with the school - trips which meant spending a few nights away from the comfort of your own home.

Where did you get to on your school trips and did you enjoy them?

In May 1980 my class, M3G(uest) at Nethergreen Middle School went to Llangollen in Wales. I can still smell that Youth Hostel. It was my first time away from my parents and I was a bit worried but I did enjoy the trip. Only last year I returned to Llangollen and it hasn't changed much - although I believe the Youth Hostel might have closed.

In May 1981 in my final class at Nethergreen Middle, M4C(ooper) we went to Ilam in Derbyshire. I never worked out why we went here, it was a bit middle-of-nowhere. My main memory is of Adam And The Ants being played on the jukebox!

Of the two trips, Llangollen was the best. We had trips on the canal, walked up to these ruins and there was more to do.

So what are your memories of those school trips, many a summer back?

Whirlow Farm, Hillsborough to see the Queen, pets corner, i can,t remember any more.

Whirlow Farm, Hillsborough to see the Queen, pets corner, i can,t remember any more.

Riber Castle ! I got locked in a loo and the Police found me the following day. Mum and Dad never noticed. Fortunately I had a load of boiled egg sandwiches and a bottle of Tizer so I was quite happy. :)

Archived