Hoping for information

Hullo Forum members, I'm new to the site and I have a problem for genealogical sleuths which I'm hoping some one might be able to shed light on. I'm from Sheffield - left when I was twentyish 1966 and I'm trying to piece together a past history. I have recently discovered (on receipt of a copy of my original B.C.) I have a new dad! i.e. (different to the one who's name I have, and who I never met anyway!) Anyway, thats the background. My 'real 'dads name was William Henry Willey. He was married to a Martha Elizabeth Willey (nee Rimmington) they lived at 82 Brompton Road Attercliffe from 1921 through till the late 50s (Martha died 1954) I met W.H.Willey with mum a few times as a boy in the early 50's but didn't then know who he was. For a few years(info. gained from the electoral roles) - 1928 perhaps through to 1939 he ran a Green Grocers from No. 82 Brompton Road, seemingly passed on to him from a Robert and Caroline Roe -( perhaps M.E.Willey's mother and stepfather thus W.H,s inlaws? and at which at which the Roes also lived. In the war time, recorded on my B.C. William.Henry,s occupation was described as an Aircraft Forgings Inspector so perhaps he worked at one of the steel works at that time. W. H. died 1968. I know this is a time relatively long past, and in some way I know all I need to know, but it would be great to find out that little bit more about him if possible. A long shot. Anyone out there who knew war time Attercliffe and can tell me more? Best Wishes to all and many thanks for reading this tortuous message T.N.(W.)

Hi RETEP thankyou so much for your speedy response - I'm gobsmacked! I'm quite chuffed that you've confirmed my own hunch about the Roes. It leaves me feeling very optimistic that someone out there will be able to add a bit more valuable info. Thanks again T.N.(W. . . . .):thumbsup:

Hi Retep - I was really pleased and grateful about the info you posted because it verified some very important dates - and it was really significant for me, so thanks again. Subsequently I got to thinking: How on earth did you come up with such a salient piece of info? I've had no responses from the forum since yours. Am I being too hopeful ?

Hi Retep - I was really pleased and grateful about the info you posted because it verified some very important dates - and it was really significant for me, so thanks again. Subsequently I got to thinking: How on earth did you come up with such a salient piece of info? I've had no responses from the forum since yours. Am I being too hopeful ?

http://www.ancestry.co.uk is a good site to use to search for family information. I have researched back to the late 1700s on two sets of parents. You can get BMD and census information (the first census 1841, the last 1901). You might be able to get a month's free trial to get started. Warning....it gets addictive.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

1925 Diectory has Robert Roe 82 Brompton Street,

which was in between Clay Street- -Walkland Road

Archived