Morning/all the time sickness

NatalieSheff

so coke is really good just drink coke - .

I would have thought coke will bloat you and make you feel worse. Not to mention the sugar content if not diet.

Remember if pregnant you shouldnt have as much caffine which coke has.

I found i never drank water, but I drink loads now as it helps the sickness!

I would have thought coke will bloat you and make you feel worse. Not to mention the sugar content if not diet.

Remember if pregnant you shouldnt have as much caffine which coke has.

I found i never drank water, but I drink loads now as it helps the sickness!

cheeky, paraphrasing and quoting me out of context. coke is fantastic for people who are dehydrating because of diarrhoea. it is also fantastic for people who are being constantly sick and can't keep things down. sugar is great for you if you can't keep anything down - something that is absorbed quickly is better than nothing at all, both for the mum and the baby, in the short term.

obviously you should cut your caffeine intake during pregnancy (as my caffeine intake is normally restricted to a bar of chocolate every few days i didn't bother cutting it), but as coke has so much sugar in it you don't actually need much to feel much better if you're both sick and hungry. a few sips of coke (or decaffeinated, if you can find it) every few hours might just keep you afloat. i had gastric flu at 36 weeks and went into premature labour. i didn't keep any fluids down for over 36 hours and vomited something like 2 dozen separate occasions, which was extremely unpleasant and really rather painful, not to mention how worried i was for the baby. during that time and before i was put on a drip, the only thing that i could keep down was coke, hence recommending coke for sickness - it takes the pressure off, as you don't feel so hungry, so feel much better. obviously water is much more important.

i'm only suggesting that the friend drink small amounts of coke (sorry, should have made that clear) and only if that's all she can keep down, which, as she isn't actually being sick at the moment, probably isn't necessary. in the best interests of both mothre and baby, coke is a lesser evil than going hungry and weak. as i mentioned before, anything (well, almost) is better than nothing, and a healthy intake is best, but if you can't manage that then you have to make do with what you can manage. everyone is different during pregnancy...i imagine any suggestions that help with the nausea are welcome.

it is also fantastic for people who are being constantly sick and can't keep things down. sugar is great for you if you can't keep anything down - something that is absorbed quickly is better than nothing at all, both for the mum and the baby, in the short term.

There is no mention of the lady being sick or being able to keep food down!

I know the feeling well that the lady is going through and was only expressing my option that i didnt think Coke would help with feeling sick nor the caffine content of coke!

There is no mention of the lady being sick or being able to keep food down!

I know the feeling well that the lady is going through and was only expressing my option that i didnt think Coke would help with feeling sick nor the caffine content of coke!

reread post 12, and you will see that i have said;

"i'm only suggesting that the friend drink small amounts of coke (sorry, should have made that clear) and only if that's all she can keep down, which, as she isn't actually being sick at the moment, probably isn't necessary. in the best interests of both mothre and baby, coke is a lesser evil than going hungry and weak. as i mentioned before, anything (well, almost) is better than nothing, and a healthy intake is best, but if you can't manage that then you have to make do with what you can manage. everyone is different during pregnancy...i imagine any suggestions that help with the nausea are welcome."

just to add that if/when you feel constant nausea and can't eat anything as a consequence, have you never noticed that after a while you can't distinguish hunger from nausea - they turn into one horrible feeling? a few sips of coke CAN help with this, as it lessens the hunger. sugar water, lemonade, anything sugary like that does the same, it just depends what you can stomach...fruit juice gave me really bad heartburn, the smell of lemonade made me retch, coke didn't, hence suggesting it. if something unhealthy helps, then surely it is better than her just suffering constantly?

again, healthy is best, but something is better than nothing.

I only know of the internet for them. - Saying that ive not really looked for them.

http://www.mothersbliss.com/shopping/preggiepops.asp

http://www.bumpsmaternity.com/item.php?prodKey=YMBPP000&level1Key=1&level2Key=25&level3Key=53&pageKey=3 There in Newcastle!

You could always try the sickness bands, they can be bought from boots and chemists.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1022193&classificationid=1020131

Im managing to cope with eating more but little!

My own contribution to the coke idea is that decaff is quite nice - I don't ever drink the caff version, but avoid the diet version if you can, sugar is infinitely better for you that aspartame (which is quite evil on the stomach).

Not a big fan of coke myself - I don't like what it contains - I prefer fruit juices, it keeps the electrolytes going and nourishes with vitamins and although coke does help the electrolytes it's no good for vits.

However, it's horses for courses, I couldn't eat any greasy food during pregnancy with my twins, no other sickness at all but hours and hours of repetitive puking if I had fish and chips or takeaway, even a home cooked roast lamb got me one day.

The Americans seem to swear by 'saltines' which as far as I can make out are crackers - so there are lots of salted versions in the UK market surely worth trying but water then becomes crucial.

I had a huge craving for anything with salt and onions so maybe there's something to do with salt?

Just be careful, salt is obviously a danger in itself.

let us know if anything works NatalieSheff - it might come in useful for other women on here.

Awww I really feel for you having all day sickness. When I was pregnant with Holly I was hospitalised for 2 days as I was dehydrated fron being sick. I was about 7 weeks pregnant. The sickness eased at about 13 weeks.

I found the best thing was fizzy pop :-) I even found that sucking on an extra strong mint helped.

I hope that you find some relief soon hun.

xxxx

Archived