Old James Dixon and Sons teapot without trumpet

We have a beautiful old James Dixon & Sons teapot, probably made before the company adopted it's trumpet marking. The base says 'James Dixon & Sons, Sheffield EPBM 2779 7' It is rounded, with little curled feet, morning glory curling up the bone and silver handle and leaves on the spout. Does this ring any bells with anyone ? It has been in our family in Australia for generations, and we would love to know more about it.

just on a side note, i actually live in a converted flat in the old james dixon and sons factory - see the pics on the link on my sig if you're interested.

Jen x

I dont know the significance of the missing trumpet but E.P.B.M. just means ELCTRO PLATED BRITTANIA METAL Brittania Metal was just a sheet of copper fused with a sheet of sterling silver and it gave people who could not afford sterling silver the ability to have something that looked like it.

If you e-mail James Houghton at http://www.britishsilverware.co.uk he may be able to help you as to why the trumpet is missing as all Dixons tooling and marks are owned by B.S.L. by the way the ivory in the handle was there to stop to much heat transferring to the handle while you poured out your afternoon tea.

We have a beautiful old James Dixon & Sons teapot, probably made before the company adopted it's trumpet marking. The base says 'James Dixon & Sons, Sheffield EPBM 2779 7' It is rounded, with little curled feet, morning glory curling up the bone and silver handle and leaves on the spout. Does this ring any bells with anyone ? It has been in our family in Australia for generations, and we would love to know more about it.
The EPBM stands for "Electro Plated (Base) Metal" I believe, but it could be Brittania named after the Works..and the 7 tells you how many cups of tea it will pour from one brewing..Thats quite a family size teapot...I have a collection of about 12 J D & Sons pots and Jugs & whisky flasks.

Have to correct Lazarus I'm afraid.

Copper fused with silver is Old Sheffield Plate.

Brittania Metal is 97% tin.

You are quite correct LATYZ I know its true as Ive worked in the Cutlery trade for over forty years, perhaps I had a senior moment?

Archived