Birley Hotel - newly re-opened

So has anyone been in since it re-opened, have you tried the food? has the interior changed much, is it worth me making a journey to try it myself or am I best avoiding it, at least until the newness has worn of and the staff are up to speed etc, oh and why did they decide to paint it white? its an eyesore.

Hi...... My husband and myself went on sunday for our lunch... We sat at a table decides from the menu what we where wanting to eat... And admiring the decor..

He went to the till to order the food he waited 20 minutes to be served to be told the were no steaks... chicken... mushrooms.. onion rings....etc.... There was not even a sign on the till to inform customers of the lack of food... He over heard a manager saying to one of the other staff that the haven`t ordered enough food :loopy:

The service is rubbish... It looks to me as though they have employed people and thrown them into the deep end without much training..

Whilst my hubby was at the bar... There was a young woman with a group of friends sat across from me, She had ordered a cheese baguette... She tried to eat it and the bread was like a B***dy brick.. Thank God she complained... The waitress did apologise and took it away.... I dont know what happened after that, I dont know...:huh:

We got up and left... To go to the Sherwood.. The service is alot better there:clap:... We were served by a young woman with dark hair in her early twenties... Her service was second to none... Hurray for the Sherwood....:D :

It just proves dont be fooled by the posh surroundings... Look at the Customer service... :help:

well we eventually gave it a try last night, it was quite busy and the bar service was really slow, I went and sat down for 10 minutes for a look at ther menu, by which time the bar was quieter, I ordered a pint of Carling' a beer and black and 2 cokes this took a good ten minutes to dispense and my change returned, not the end of the world. The menu is not particularly child freindly and not especially adventurous, we settled on a mixed grill, fish and chips and scampi and chips with sides of chips and garlic bread for my 3 year old, the food came pretty swiftly, the mixed grill served on a sizzler which was several degrees hotter than the centre of the sun, nice to keep your warm and made a nice sizzly sound too, however I was served three identically sized pieces of meat, gammon, steak, chicken and 2 sausages accompied by 1/2 a tomato and a few fried onions, meat was cooked ok, sausages appeared to have spent too much time on the aforementioned sun, burnt doesnt do them justice, all tasted ok though, mind for 5.85 the portion was a tad small, the other food was served clinically without passion or thought, cooked ok, but just lobbed on a plate, fish was a nice sized peice and was much enjoyed, looked bland though, tables were cleared quickley and cheerlessley, desert was of the bought in and put in a glass type, although I saw other people with nice looking puddings etc. The decor is very nice and comfortable, the lager was cold and nice. Ive heard a few horror stories but it looks they are getting things together slowly but surely, all in all its a nice environment for a cheapish meal and a couple of drinks on week night. If you live resonably close its worth a try, Im sure it will get better.

Archived