Sheff Silver Factories

Guest poppins

Guest poppins

Anyone work in the silver factories in the 50/60s.?

I worked at W/Halls, Mapin/Webbs, I forget the other one i worked at, i did mostly packing, the buffers did all the hard work, i got some realy good bargins when W/Halls closed up, i treasure my silver tea service to this day, funny as years later on a visit back to Sheffield i saw my same set in the Sheffield musuem, not because it was worth a lot, they had it in as it was designed by a Sheffield man, Peter someone i think ? that made it more special to me.

I Made some good pals back then, we use to stop on our way to work at a little window shop and buy a packet of 5 woodbines,lasted us all day.

Is there any silver smiths left in Sheffield ?

• 6 years later...
:help: trying to find the name of a Sheffield Silver Works, Salmon Pastures area, behind Carters? (for my brother) he remembers going Carol Singing there with the Pathfinders from Attercliffe Church, & everyone being checked on the way out in case they had pilfered any silver :rolleyes: one of our old neighbours worked there but no-one can remember the name of it? My mum seems to think it began with an E ..............

:help: trying to find the name of a Sheffield Silver Works, Salmon Pastures area, behind Carters? (for my brother) he remembers going Carol Singing there with the Pathfinders from Attercliffe Church, & everyone being checked on the way out in case they had pilfered any silver :rolleyes: one of our old neighbours worked there but no-one can remember the name of it? My mum seems to think it began with an E ..............

That is now British Silverware & The Solpro Group now situated on Windsor St or you may mean The Sheffield Smelting Company which is also part of the Solpro Group.

I know :D put a search in for 'Silver Works' and thought I'd add onto your thread :) My mum worked at Walker & Halls in the offices before I was born (many moons ago) ...............

I worked there too in the 50s, I was in the factory, Terry was the manager that time, good looking man, vera worked the belt, I did packing.

Archived