Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

• 4 weeks later...
Blackbird (orange) and Kingfisher (Blue) were two others. {swift was purple]

regards

Tazz

I`m always impressed with other peoples memories. I left burngreave secondry modern in 1953. The only house name I can remember is BOLSOVER and I am fairly sure that was the house I was in. There were others but they escape me. I can only remember two teachers, mr holly and mr houldsworth. Mr holly was the woodwork teacher and a decent individual. Mr houldsworth, if my memory is correct, was something of a sadist. He had a number of canes in a box on the wall and if you were unfortunate enough to be punished by him he would go through the rigmarole of deciding which cane size your misdemeanor deserved. I think that they were numbered 1 to 10. He would select one and swish it through the air while you were standing there awaiting your fate. He would finally select one and deliver it with gusto. I had it several times and probably deserved it. I called him a sadist but I don`t believe that he did me any lasting harm .I was certainly better behaved in his class than any other. I watched a documentary the other night in it a young girl of about fifteen told her mother to f... off, repeatedly. I think a few more Mr houldsworth`s are needed to teach the young of today to have respect for others` and indeed respect for themselves.

When I went to School in the mid 50's Arbourthorne (aka Norfolk Secondary School)we had houses I was in Talbot (red) Howard (blue)Granville (green)Fitzwilliam (yellow) I think I am correct in saying they were all important landowners at the time

• 2 weeks later...
At Lydgate school we had Norfolk (yellow) Weston (blue) Meersbrook (green) that was my team, but what was red, anyone remember???

Definitely "Endcliffe Red" - I was in "Meersbrook Green".... a long time ago....:hihi: :hihi:

I was at Abbeydale Grammar

We had Peveril, York, Richmond and Conisborough...Castles

Went to Abbeydale Grammar way back in the 40's when it was girls only (there aren't many of us left!!!!).

We had 5 houses, Nightingale, Darling, Cavell, Marvel and Fry, all famous ladies.