Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Burngreave Secondry Modern in the '40s (It may have another name now) took the names of the junior schools it got its pupils from locally and adapted their names for the 'houses'. Pyebank,

Woodside, Firshill, and Ellsmere. The house names, therefore were, Bank, Wood, Hill, and Mere.

Originally posted by Dirtydog

When I attended the houses were called after regions of France; I can only recall two though. I think Yellow was Compiegne (sp?), and Green was Picardy. Blue and Reds' names escape me.

Then I think they changed back to your original names and then changed again to the rivers of Sheffield.

Just reinstated the original four at notre dame;

Compiegne-yellow

Picardy-green

Cuvilly-red

St Julie-blue

Originally posted by jenhoppy

I went to Shortbrook Infants and our houses were

HILARY

BARNARD

ARMSTRONG and

CHICHESTER

I am so glad you remember :)

I was in Chichester and don't seem to remember us ever wining much :(

the high school houses were named after the founder members, four frightening old women called

stanley (red), shireff (blue), gurney (green) and grey (purple)

their photos use to be in the corridor outside the hall and use to scare us silly. mind you, so did most of the teachers.

I used to go to st,matthias school on parliament street.

I went over to u.k. some years ago & my old school had gone.

When were you at pomona st.,

they split the 3 schools st/matthias/pomona st/st.silas/ & sent the older pupils to greystones sec.mod. where you in that split?

cheers shawn

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by foghorn

Heading out of the city for a bit, Wath named its houses after ancient cities - Athens, Rome, Cathage, Sparta, Thebes and Troy (me).

Not sure if they still use them - the system was going strong along with the prefects etc when I joined in the eighties but had all but died out out by the very beginning of the nineties when I left.

And they were definitely going strong when I was there in the sixties and seventies. I was a Carthaginian.