Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Hi Magjim, I was at Abbeydale Grammar in the 40s but can't remember Marvel. What years were you there

I was at Abbeydale Grammar from 42 to 47. We definitely had a house named Alice Marvel. I believe she was a missionary/doctor, don't know when. I was in Elizabeth Fry house, which one were you in?

Was Walkley County Secondary School previously Walkley County Junior & Senior School, just across the road from the Infants School ?

The junior and infants were in the building which is still a school. The secondarywas across the roadand flanked by Burnaby St and Greaves St this building is now apartments I believe.

shirecliffe secondary modern

from 60 to64 we had colours/red=south africa blue =Canada green =newzealand and yellow=Astralia

arn't I a now it all

teachers=Sanderson/Watkins/Stayley /Alf and Bill Thomas/Cooper/ Watson /Valantine/Robinson[head]Hurst/Aggie/Hedley/Green/

I now their first names and what they taught [Can't remember last week though]I left in 64 at 15 and work was everywhere.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The names of the houses at Woodhouse Grammar School were inspired by its pioneering first headmaster John Buckley's passion for Walter Scott's novels - Ivanhoe, Sherwood, Rotherwood and Hallam. Next year marks the centenary of WGS. Buckley arrived in Woodhouse in 1909 to prepare the way for the first 35 pupils and toured surrounding villages, preaching the virtues of secondary education, often in the face of critics who, for example, saw no place for girls. For over half a century Woodhouse sent out streams of talented folk, scores of whom still meet every July at the school reunion where the 'leading lady' was always revered french teacher Jessie Baston. She died last week, aged 93, and Hutcliffe Wood chapel was packed on Friday (Oct 17) when we celebrated the life of an amazing lady.