Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by The Cycleracer

I went to Hinde House and they had Sorby (yellow) Chantry (green) brierley (red i think) and Hunter (blue).

I was in Sorby

I too went to Hinde House. I think that you have the colours for Brierley and Hunter the wrong way round. I'm fairly certain that Hunter was red and Brierley, blue. I was in Chantry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at Rainbow Forge Junior in the 60's and our houses were called after birds, the only ones I remember were Eagle (yellow), Swift (blue, I think), Curlew (green) and Robin (red - never, why red?) but there were others (at least 6 all together and possibly 8). I was captain of Eagle in 1966-67 and we won! But it was my vice-captain that did the work (I never understood why I was picked, I was crap at everything and not particularly popular).

At Thornbridge (now Birley) we had Furniss, Buslie, Pictou and one other (the spellings are probably wrong) - I think they were the people that had owned the land before it was aquired to build the school.

Steve Cooper

Originally posted by slh73

Prince Edwards had houses named after Welsh castles...Conway, Caerphilly, Harlech and Caenarfon.

i moved to prince edwards in 1975 and was put in conway before that i was at athelstan school handsworth...we had york (red) glouster(yellow) lancaster (orange) can't remember what the blue one was....

• 3 weeks later...

Hemsworth primary school had: Chantrey, Landseer, Gibbons and Constable - all very arty. When I went to Gleadless Valley Secondary Modern, they took a more ornithological approach with Falcon, Kestrel, Hawk and Merlin. At the time no one knew what the hell a Merlin was (it’s the UK’s smallest bird of prey as it turns out). Hawk, on the other hand, was far too general a term and describes a whole family of raptors, not a specific bird. No wonder we ended up learning nowt, even the teachers were thick