Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

I was at Rivelin School in the eighties and Myers Grove comp in the nineties. The houses there were rivers in the case of the former and peoples of the British Isles for the latter, if I remember correctly:

Rivelin: Don, Loxley, Porter, Sheaf

Myers Grove: Celts, Saxons, Vikings, Normans

As far as the colours go, I'm not that anal!. It was all too wierd and stank of aping public schools for the rich and inbred to me.

They must have changed it. In the seventies and eighties it was Canada(green) Australia (blue) Ghana (red) and forgot the yellow one!! think it was India??

Springvale House Special School, anyone who attended will remember the headteacher Miss Rose Wass:

Wass Rosalie - Passed away peacefully on...

Wass Rosalie - Passed away peacefully on January 7, 2010 aged 99 years. Sadly missed by nieces Marjorie, Sheila, Patricia, Christine and Josephine. Funeral service and cremation at Grenoside Crematorium South Chapel on Tuesday January 19 at 1.45 p.m. No flowers by request please, donations if desired for the Sheffield Childrens Hospital Charity may be sent to John Fairest Funeral Home, 10-56 Penistone Road North, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, S6 1

My eldest son is at High Storrs school and they have taken on the house system again. The houses are based on Sheffield theatres - Merlin, Crucible, Montgomery and Lyceum.

My youngest son attends Greystones Primary and they too have brought back the houses. Or in this case the 'Edges'. They have Stanage, Burbage, Froggat and I think Curber. Last year the school had a grand day out and all the children visited their Edge.

• 1 month later...
Just remembered that my secondary school -High Storrs -in the Fifties had four houses named after Early Britons -Saxons,Picts,

Jutes and er I think Normans.

Anyone else recall their house names?

My house at High Storrs was Spartan in the late forties

Went to Firth Park Grammar,remember Beattie,Fosch and Haig,can someone tell me the 4th.

Yes, I was in Foch, 1960 to 1965, named after Ferdinand Foch (pronounced "Fosh") and credited with possessing the most original and subtle mind in the French army.

Pity we couldn't emulate him. :hihi:

Yes, I was in Foch, 1960 to 1965, named after Ferdinand Foch (pronounced "Fosh") and credited with possessing the most original and subtle mind in the French army.

Pity we couldn't emulate him. :hihi:

then they were renamed to rivers after it went comprehensive - portler,loxley,rivelin&sheaf I think it was. Can't remember which one replaced which or which one I was in after that.