Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Mansell primary had Normans (red), Saxons (blue), Danes (yellow)and Celts. I REEEALY wanted to be a Celt so I could wear green but the hat nominated me a Hufflepuff Saxon instead. That blood y stupid hat......

Yep, I was a Norman when I was there in the early seventies :)

Wonder if Clitheroe house was named after Jimmy that

mischievous scamp who delighted us in the golden days of wireless.Sadly he did not make a seamless transition to TV as

viewers found it difficult to reconcile the grey hairs on his legs with

the role of naughty schoolboy.

Don't know if anyone else picked this up as since the op and I can't be bothered to trawl through all the posts- but as De La Salle was a Catholic school (my brother went there) the houses were named after English martyrs.

Margaret Clitheroe was martyred in York for her faith and so the house would have been named after her.

Jimmy Clitheroe was indeed an old man who played a school boy (he had a growth hormone disorder) a sort of Jimmy Crankey but with a Lancashire accent- hence The Clitheroe kid- from the Lancashire town of that name.

I think it was at Malin Bridge when I was there, the house names were Whirlow (green),

Richmond (red), Endcliffe (blue) and Loxley (yellow). I was in Richmond and when I moved schools, to Birley Spa, they put me in Red house there, too.

Houses at High Storrs. Early Britons !!?? I don't now how you managed not to pay attention to Jock Hamilton in history as he strode up and down with his half metre scale keeping us all awake.

Trojans,Spartans,Goths,Normans, Picts Jutes, Saxons and Franks.

Not bad after a gap of 65 years, but don't ask me what happened last week !

The best advice he imparted to me all those years ago, "don't believe everything you read in books".

Bob.

Houses at High Storrs. Early Britons !!?? I don't now how you managed not to pay attention to Jock Hamilton in history as he strode up and down with his half metre scale keeping us all awake.

Trojans,Spartans,Goths,Normans, Picts Jutes, Saxons and Franks.

Not bad after a gap of 65 years, but don't ask me what happened last week !

The best advice he imparted to me all those years ago, "don't believe everything you read in books".

Bob.

I was a 50s Jute, though I don't remember scoring any points for my house. The houses competed against each other in sporting competitions - like long distance running through the "Roughs" and the neighborhood streets. Me and my mates used to wait until the school was out of sight then out would come the fags and we'd light up. More like a long distance stroll than a run. Once or twice a year there would be those dreaded house socials when boys from two houses would be forced to stay after school, dress down into shorts and plimsoles (remember those?). That might have been all we wore, come to think of it (steady on - it was an all boys school). Then we'd have sandwiches and play silly games until six or seven at night. A different age.