Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to Mansel Middle School, Parson Cross, in the early 1980s and we had houses split into Celts, Danes, Normans and Saxons. They had house colours, which were green, yellow, red and blue respectively. At sports days each summer, we would be split into house teams in all the different sports including the three-legged race, egg and spoon race, and the wheelbarrow race.

My junior school -Pomona Street County -named its four houses after local rivers -Loxley,Rivelin,Meersbrook and Porter.

Oddly enough they didn't adopt the Sheaf or Don which are both

more impressive than the piddling Porter and Meersbrook.

Pupils were awarded house-points for sporting or academic

achievements - and occasionally for outstanding bravery.

I recall one filthy winters day Mick Newsome -a tough 9- year old backstreet kid being awarded 100 housepoints for retrieving

a caseball from the fast-flowing river which ran alongside the

school playing field.The teacher had fortunately fastened a length

of rope around the plucky youngster -otherwise I think the

wide-eyed watching schoolkids could see him carried along in the the torrents that disappeared into the tunnels at Moorfoot.

Mercifully he emerged to rasping cheers carrying the ball in one hand and holding onto his sodden underpants with the other.

i went to firthpark grammar they still had first world war commanders as houses they were foche a french field marshall haigh a brit kings -dont know and beatty an admiral this was in the 60 s

I see what you mean. That was just a typo, but if you're struggling with cogniwhatsit and can't help me I will have to check with a dictionary. Now do you mean cognoscenti? Where's the spell check dammit?

By the way how do spell pompous?

prick i think