Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

I went to Westways and we had Derwent (green) Ladybower (blue) Redmires (red) and Strines (yellow) I was elected the captain of strines in my last year we had to wear the yellow shield captains badge. Redmires and Derwent were the biggest cheets.

Schools still adopt these traditions dont think there as much rivalry as there was when i was at school.

I went to Philadelphia. We had Redmires (Red), Ladybower (Green), Bradfield (Yellow) and Derwent (Blue).

i went to ecclesfield comp and we had diamond, emerald, opal, topaz and sapphire i think.....correct me if im wrong!!!!

I as at Ecco in 1975 and the houses in Lower school were Eagle, Kestrel and I forget the other to but probably other bird of prey names

I was at De La Salle in the late forties we had Saints names George (Red), Andrew (Blue), Patrick (Green) and De la Salle (Yellow). I was in St. Patrick's house and in the years I was there we had the honour of always coming last. You could say we were very consistant.

I was also at Mansel Middle schol in the early/mid 70s. I was a Dane (yellow) and ended up being the House Captain in the final year I was there. I can always remember having to go up to the stage with the girl house captain for the Danes (sorry, can't remember who that was) for the little trophy if the house had scored the most points in the previous week.

Good times, it's a shame they don't do things like anymore.

I went to Mansel too, many years before you.:)

Celts were green ( I was one)

Saxon were blue

Danes were yellow

Roman's I think were red, correct me someone if I'm wrong.

edit I think maybe it was Normans that were the red team.

Edited by Joto
correction

• 3 weeks later...
I went to Mansel too, many years before you.:)

Celts were green ( I was one)

Saxon were blue

Danes were yellow

Roman's I think were red, correct me someone if I'm wrong.

edit I think maybe it was Normans that were the red team.

That's correct-I went there too,each lesson the teachers would award a pupil with "house points" in the form of coloured stars that would be added up at the end of the week. Their was also a vice-captain for each house, i know this because i was one, and have still got the badge:D:D