Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

At Hillsborough school late 60's they had :-

Dixon (red) Willis (Blue) Winyard (Green) and Warner(Yellow)

Taken from road names near by. Not very imaginative!

I can also remember I was in a house called "Mappin" at Chaucer which had its own song. Mappin, Mappin, we're the greatest, to the tune ot the German national anthem!

When Ecclesfield was a real school it had Wycliffe, Bronte, Strafford, Lady Mabel, Priestley and Fairfax.

Yes I was there at that time.I was in Priestley,who regularly came bottom in just about everything.

went to Norfolk School 65-70, houses then were named after steel manufacturers Tyzack ,Firth,Osborne ,Neill(mine, everyone in Neill house wore an orange badge, cant remember the other house colours)

I went to Norfolk in early 70s it was hadfield(yellow)tyzack(blue)neil(orange)firth(red)osborne(green) and balfour(purple)

• 3 weeks later...
For the information of the two guys who went to King Teds...they no longer have houses. I was there in the 80's and they had gone by then. As had prefects and the 6th form hang out room. Lydgate Middle had houses named after parks of Sheffield. Meersbrook (my personal house...luckily we were, often than not, top of the school and used to get a real kick out of watching Mr Hall pile on the coloured bricks on the chart in the hall) Norfolk, Endcliffe and Weston. Good stuff!

I was in crappy Norfolk, we lost at everything lol :hihi:

• 5 weeks later...

I went to Firs Hill,early sixties - houses were Don (yellow) Rivelin (red) Loxley (blue) and Sheaf (green),

then Firth Park who seemed to have a thing about first world war generals - Beatty (pale blue), Kings (royal blue), Foch (red), Haig (green)

I was in Foch and in the joining letter my parents got before I started it said that Foch was maroon and that I had to have a maroon football shirt. My dad took me to Suggs and the only maroon shirt they had was a rugby one that looked like one of Stan Matthews rejects. So I turned out for the first games lesson in maroon only to find everyone else in foch in a liverpool/man utd shirt ( red with white trim) lol.

Edited by CMOT_Dibbler
addition

• 1 month later...