Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
At Hillsborough school late 60's they had :-

Dixon (red) Willis (Blue) Winyard (Green) and Warner(Yellow)

Taken from road names near by. Not very imaginative!

I can also remember I was in a house called "Mappin" at Chaucer which had its own song. Mappin, Mappin, we're the greatest, to the tune ot the German national anthem!

Sharrow Lane School had houses named after local roads, too, Priory, Grange, Thornsett and Kenwood.

My first school, Hemsworth county primary had houses named after local "Stately" homes, :- Chatsworth, Haddon, Thoresby, and Hardwick.

We didn't have houses at Abbeydale Grange, for some reason.

When I transferred to High Storrs, we had houses named for the teacher who was head of house:- Hoffman (later Smith), Herring (later Stephenson House) Cary and Catliffe. From what I understand from my neighbours daughter who is currently at HSS, the houses names are something like "Greeks, Romans, Saxon and Normans"

Sharrow Lane School had houses named after local roads, too, Priory, Grange, Thornsett and Kenwood.

My first school, Hemsworth county primary had houses named after local "Stately" homes, :- Chatsworth, Haddon, Thoresby, and Hardwick.

We didn't have houses at Abbeydale Grange, for some reason.

When I transferred to High Storrs, we had houses named for the teacher who was head of house:- Hoffman (later Smith), Herring (later Stephenson House) Cary and Catliffe. From what I understand from my neighbours daughter who is currently at HSS, the houses names are something like "Greeks, Romans, Saxon and Normans"

Then, they've reverted to the past, PT. When I was at HSGSB in the 50s and early 60s, house names were: saxons, normans, trojans, picts, goths, jutes, franks, etc. I was a jute.

Sid Hoffmann? Great English teacher. Personable and knowledgeable.

??? Herring? We used to call him "Fish." Average science teacher, likeable enough, not of the same caliber as Pole Robinson or Polly Stanford.

Edited by soft ayperth

Then, they've reverted to the past, PT. When I was at HSGSB in the 50s and early 60s, house names were: saxons, normans, trojans, picts, goths, jutes, franks, etc. I was a jute.

Sid Hoffmann? Great English teacher. Personable and knowledgeable.

??? Herring? We used to call him "Fish." Average science teacher, likeable enough, not of the same caliber as Pole Robinson or Polly Stanford.

Yes, the very same. I found him okay, though I was taught my English by Ms Ward.

Mr Hoffman retired a couple of years after I left, and Ms Smith, his deputy head of house took over, The same with Herring House, Mr Stevenson took over. Apparently, Smith House later took over all the left hand side of the building (the boys school), and Stevenson took over all the Right hand side (the Girls' school). When I was there in the 70s, it was Hoffman on the upper left, Herring on the upper right, Catliffe house was bottom floor left, and Cary was bottom floor right.