Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Originally posted by rupert

Nether Green School (1960s-70s): Falcons (me), Eagles, Hawks, Kestrels

High Storrs School (1970s): Herring (me), Hoffman, Chadwick, Catclif

That's how it was for me.

I was at High Storrs from 1977approx, till 1980, and the houses names, at that time, were Hoffman (post '80 it was Smith), Herring (as I left it became Stevenson) Cary and Catliff. and yes, when Misses Cary and Catliff retired, their houses were merged with either Stevenson or Smith

I was in Hoffman, which was green. (John, and Winter Mist... you both must be only about a year or two younger than me to remember those!)

Bazzo, I went to Sharrow Lane School from 1973 to 1975, (when I transfered to senior school) and I have fond memories (!!) of the trek down Summerfield Street, from S-L Sch, to play games on the "Porter Field" behind Pomona Street school. ah, happy days. Especially when the rounders ball went into the river (snigger)!

(incidentally, the houses at Sharrow Lane School were named after local streets when I was there,:- Grange, Thornsett, Priory and Kenwood!)

Shawn:- just as an aside... you wouldn't recognise the brightmore drive flats these days! the council did them up, and clad them in sort of blue and green panels, and turned the balconies into enclosed utility room things, they look quite nice now. (they did the same to the blocks of flats on Martin Street.

Another poster (Mojoworking) talked about Hemsworth School, on Constable Road...... When were you there, Mojo? I was there from 1968/9 to 1973-ish, and the houses then were named after "local" stately homes, Chatsworth, (red), Hardwick (Blue) Haddon (green) and the yellow house was.. er... er... oh! bloomin' drat! I've forgotten.. can anyone prompt me on that, please? (blushes!)

Plain Talking

Originally posted by Plain Talker

I Another poster (Mojoworking) talked about Hemsworth School, on Constable Road...... When were you there, Mojo? I was there from 1968/9 to 1973-ish, and the houses then were named after "local" stately homes, Chatsworth, (red), Hardwick (Blue) Haddon (green) and the yellow house was.. er... er... oh! bloomin' drat! I've forgotten.. can anyone prompt me on that, please? (blushes!)

Plain Talking

I went to Hemsworth Primary (or Juniors as it was then called) from the day it opened circa 1957 until 1961. They must have changed the name of the houses since then, because as I said in my original post, they were originally named after painters, sculptors etc

An earlier poster (fuzzy) said that school houses are a thing of the past, because "you can't have the kids being competitive now". If true, then it's yet another example of the PC brigade taking over the world

Originally posted by mojoworking

I went to Hemsworth Primary (or Juniors as it was then called) from the day it opened circa 1957 until 1961. They must have changed the name of the houses since then, because as I said in my original post, they were originally named after painters, sculptors etc

An earlier poster (fuzzy) said that school houses are a thing of the past, because "you can't have the kids being competitive now". If true, then it's yet another example of the PC brigade taking over the world

Named for painters and sculptors, eh..? (rubs chin, musing) hmm.

(bright light apprears over Plain talking's head!)

Oh, yes....! as were most of the roads up there:- Landseer, Constable, etc. (were Raeburn, Orpen, and Mawfa, and Gibbons artists, too do you know?)

Oh, yes, and I've also just remembered the name of the fourth house there.. it was Thoresby! I knew it'd come to me eventually!

and I went to another secondary school(1975-77/8), apart from High Storrs, and that one didn't have "houses"

Plain talking

Originally posted by mojoworking

Sir Henry Raeburn. (1756-1823), Grinling Gibbons (1648-1720), Sir William Orpen (1878-1931), not sure about Mawfa

Wallop! Give that poster a shiny! (sorry, can't you tell, I watch far too much C-beebies with my granddaughter!)

(thank you!)

Plain talker

Interesting response from juliediane saying that her old school

Phillimore (where is that?) named its houses after Sheffield rivers.

When I idly started this topic last June I mentioned that my old

junior school -Pomona Street County (now Portercroft -if you please! just off Ecclesall Rd) named its houses after local rivers!!

We seem to have come full circle -thanks juliediane.

Originally posted by BAZZO

Interesting response from juliediane saying that her old school

Phillimore (where is that?) named its houses after Sheffield rivers.

When I idly started this topic last June I mentioned that my old

junior school -Pomona Street County (now Portercroft -if you please! just off Ecclesall Rd) named its houses after local rivers!!

We seem to have come full circle -thanks juliediane.

Phillimore school is MR Plaintalker's old school. it is in Darnall, in the east end of Sheffield.

Plaintalker

• 2 weeks later...