Toughest Pubs in Sheffield?

NualaMay

Hi everyone.

I'm writing a publication of 'pub stories'

Kind of a collection of bizarre anecdotes from the bar and old wives tales and such like

Could anyone tell me which the toughest/most colourful pubs in Sheffield are?

And whether i should bring a tough friend down with me!

And does anyone know much about The Cannon down near Castle Market - i know it's closed now but i'm interested in stories about that one.

I heard The Wybourn is bad?

Thank you v much!

A search on the forum for this subject would have delivered a wealth of previous posts. I do however find it difficult to see how you can go ahead a write a book about "toughest / most colourful pubs in Sheffield" when you don't seem to have ventured into many. Are have you first hand drinking experience of a multitude of pubs in the city? Surely the decision to compose such a book would be based upon existing first hand knowledge which is then to be supplemented further by the stories of others? What is your motive for such a publication?

No you're right it would be hard to write a book - im writing about 4 thousand words.

I have my own ideas about what to write but i'm quite sure there are plenty of people on here who know far more than i do - so i was only asking.

I am a student at Sheffield, and i've lived here since i was 6 so yes i have my own experiences but i'm interested in other peoples - i'm not particularly old and i don't know the history to this subject.

My decision to do this is based upon personal curiosities, related subjects i have written about for some time and some experience.. I am interested that's all! I do not expect the good people of this forum to do my work for me - merely asking.

As for the previous threads - thank you for that, i have only just realised

Visit the cannon near castle market, cross the road and go down the gennel that leads to the magistrate courts. Enter the pub on your left, have a pint pop outside and ask the 'locals'.

Although the cannon shut there's at least another 3 pubs that will let you smoke cannabis inside that i know of in town, not that you can in the hen and chickens, but outside it you will be able to find which ones you would be interested to visit.

Archived