Does anyone know the legality of putting spikes on fences to deter cats?

medusa

I suspect if the cat is injured it's going to be difficult to prove how and where it was injured if it wasn't actually supervised at the time. If it was supervised, the RSPCA would most likely want to know what an owner was doing actually allowing their pet to injur itself unnecessarily

has anybody ever actually sued successfully over a cat injury other than if it has been caught in a deliberately set and baited trap?

I am not sure with what other people have said about the legality of putting spikes on the wall but each neighbour has duties for specific boundaries.

If you have a look on the title deeds (if you or one of the others has got them, if it is a row they should all be the same theoretically) and see if there is a little "T" on the garden area, if the T is on your property then that is your boundary. If this is the case then it is your fence and I would just go out and take them off.

One of our neighbours (many years ago) put carpet grippers all along the fence that parted him and us. It was our fence!! He not only put the grippers on, but then coated it with and oily greasy substance. I confronted him about this (when I caught him chucking weeds over into our garden - which really got my back up) and told him to take it down, after an heated argument he ended it with saying he was going to put poisend cat food down for the cats and that would stop them getting in his garden. I called the RSPCA and they said to contact them again if he didn't take the grippers down. It was our fence and he had no right to put them on. He did take the grippers down after a few days but denied everything he said to me when my husband went round to see him. Thankfully he has moved.

One of our neighbours (many years ago) put carpet grippers all along the fence that parted him and us. It was our fence!! He not only put the grippers on, but then coated it with and oily greasy substance. I confronted him about this (when I caught him chucking weeds over into our garden - which really got my back up) and told him to take it down, after an heated argument he ended it with saying he was going to put poisend cat food down for the cats and that would stop them getting in his garden. I called the RSPCA and they said to contact them again if he didn't take the grippers down. It was our fence and he had no right to put them on. He did take the grippers down after a few days but denied everything he said to me when my husband went round to see him. Thankfully he has moved.

What an evil man! We used to live next to a horrible old git who hated cats and blamed ours for everything- the wind howled and broke his lupins and he came hammering on our door blaming our cats ! We had some awful time with him ending in my ex getting thumped by the cantankerous old moron (he was an ex-miner and a good foot taller than my ex) Of course, when we called the police the git turned up wearing a bandage and said my ex had nearly killed him. Revenge comes to he who waits though - we moved to get away from him and shortly afterwards he dropped dead.

Archived