C. 1901 Map Of Woodhouse Village Wanted

Guest Ant

I'm working on an on-going project for a Woodhouse village website, and I'm in need of a map from as close to 1901 as possible. The map MUST show individual buildings.

To save me a trip to the Sheffield Archives, does anyone have a map they could scan for me?

Still looking for old photographs and memories of the village if anyone can provide them.

hi Ant,

there are books from that era not sure of authors name surname is widdowson. go to google type books on woodhouse sheffield there are pictures and maps there. hope this helps a little:)

Thanks, I do have a couple of books, but it's the map I'm itching to get my hands on. I want a map on my site that you can click on, selecting individual houses - that will then bring up the census data for that building.

I popped into Sheffield Scene last week, the touristy shop near the Crucible & library. They have a selection of Alan Godfrey maps that are just what I'm looking for. The Handsworth map was perfect, but surprise, surprise, there isn't one as yet for Woodhouse.

Y'know, I used to work for British Gas, and the number of older residents I spoke to who could tell me all about the history and gossip of the old village was amazing. Trouble is, none of them seem to be on the forum. :rolleyes:

I'm working on an on-going project for a Woodhouse village website, and I'm in need of a map from as close to 1901 as possible. The map MUST show individual buildings.

To save me a trip to the Sheffield Archives, does anyone have a map they could scan for me?

Still looking for old photographs and memories of the village if anyone can provide them.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127557&highlight=woodhouse

Great map, reptep, but not a high enough resolution. Do you still have access to the maps? Where'd you get them from?

Great map, reptep, but not a high enough resolution. Do you still have access to the maps? Where'd you get them from?

It belongs to a mate in the village, it's quite a big map,

the old map with the bit of history on is only postcard size, you need a magnifying glass to read it, but it gives who lived where.

Thanks, I do have a couple of books, but it's the map I'm itching to get my hands on. I want a map on my site that you can click on, selecting individual houses - that will then bring up the census data for that building.

I popped into Sheffield Scene last week, the touristy shop near the Crucible & library. They have a selection of Alan Godfrey maps that are just what I'm looking for. The Handsworth map was perfect, but surprise, surprise, there isn't one as yet for Woodhouse.

Y'know, I used to work for British Gas, and the number of older residents I spoke to who could tell me all about the history and gossip of the old village was amazing. Trouble is, none of them seem to be on the forum. :rolleyes:

My next door neighbour seems to know everything about Woodhouse but she is only 70. She's not a Forrumer although she has lived in the village all her life.

hazel

Try visiting the Sheffield Archives - they have a huge collection of old maps of the local area and the assistants are very helpful.

I know, Betty. But as I stated in the opening post, I was trying to avoid heading down there again this week. Thought I'd ask on here first - it's amazing what the Forum can throw up when the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Archived