Cask ale availability in Sheffield early 1980's

Cast your minds back to the days of the early 80's in Sheffield when all draught beer and lager in pubs was served from electric metered pumps....a press of a switich gave you exactly half a pint inc the head. The days when "top me up please" were unheard of as it was all metered. The days when the choice of draught beer consisted of either Stones, Wards, Bass or Tetley: and the only lager you could find was probably Carling Black Label. Premium lager was unheard of on draught....

trying to think of where, if anywhere, in Sheffield City centre, you could find cask ales....can't remember anywhere that still had handpulls on bars at this time. Although all Sheffield pubs had handpulls and cask ales until the early 1960's, these were seriously all systematically junked in the late 60's and replaced by electric meter nitro keg pumps, as the keg beer was king. Cask ale was in the dark ages back at this time, it was generally unpopular and its image nothing like it is today: cask ale in the early 80's was consumed by old men with pipes and jumpers in the middle of Derbyshire, and had none of its current appeal.

So all you people who used to drink in the early 80's around town, in those pre Frog and Parrot (opened in 1982), pre Fat Cat real ale pub days, where COULD you enjoy a pint of finest cask, and what was it......

Somewhere ......... I've got an old CAMRA 'mini-book' from about 1986 (if not just before), which was the equivalent of the recent "A Real Ale Guide To Sheffield" book, but much thinner! There were quite a few pubs at that point which served real ale, but most served it 'on electric'. It had a sepia sort of coloured cover; there's probably one in the library somewhere.

I'll try and dig it up.

'Fraid the early '80's are before my drinking days ........ :)

Archived