Grandparents' rights

You do have rights to a certain amount of access, although this may just be in the form of letter writing (from you - not him) as the courts highly favour children maintaining links with their biological family.

Even if you find it hard you should try to abide by what the childs mother wants - if you do this as amicably as possible in time things will settle down. And if the child is only 3 months old she will still be getting used to things so you need to give her time.

I wouldn't try and see the baby without her there I reckon you would have no chance.

I understand your anger Cycleracer,but you need to keep a clear head to get things sorted.Like I said in previous posts contact your local CAB & they may be able to help.Our grandson's mother is much the same but we have to bite our tongue or we would never see him.It is a awful situation to be in & for those who have never been in this situation cannot understand.Best of luck.

Originally posted by Cyclone

i'm puzzled why the childs mother should have more of a say in the matter than the childs father as that's what you seem to be implying elf?

The Mother has all the rights at the moment,that's why the Fathers For Justice are fighting so hard to get seeing rights for there children.It stinks that the Father is treat like a second class citizen,but that's the out dated laws in our country mate.

I don't want to get into the mother vs father rights again, I was just saying that if the mother is stipulating certain rules to the grandparents seeing the child, then for the sake of seeing the grandchild surely it is better just to go along with it for a while.

If the woman is new to parenthood than give a chance for things to settle down, it is quite common for a mother to be really anal with her first new born but it does ease off after a while.

Also all the hormones don't go back to normal for quite a while after the birth.

only if the parents are seperated and the mother has custody, which cycleracer already said wasn't the case here. His son, the father, is still with his wife and thus custody of the child is with both parents, and presumably they still have a relationship, so he should be capable of making her listen to reason.

Originally posted by tosh13

The Mother has all the rights at the moment,that's why the Fathers For Justice are fighting so hard to get seeing rights for there children.It stinks that the Father is treat like a second class citizen,but that's the out dated laws in our country mate.

And how should he make her listen??

Good point Tosh, thats the problem, he's no chance and so thats why I have to stand up myself and deal with it.

Make no mistake, if the law is there I will impliment it, but if it ain't then I'll have to grit the old teeth.

well personally i'd take the approach of sitting her down, and saying words along the line of

"stop being such a weirdo dear, we're going out and taking our child over to my parents, if you don't want to come you just stay here and have a nice cup of tea."

I suppose it depends on the relationship they have, but you did say they were married right cycleracer?

And how should he make her listen??

• 5 years later...

Archived