Heroes - could you be one?

Without blowing my own trumpet, I tackled a lad with a weapon a while ago, he was going to stab this other fella, I dropped him before he had a chance to do anything. Was it stupid, reckless and foolhardy? Bloody right! Would I do it again? In all honesty, yes.

It's not about trying to be a hero just doing what you feel is right at the time.

zactly

some people do it, some wont

sont think its foolish, some prolly dont

the heroic bit comes after, i dont suppose ou actually think "yay im gonna be superman"

no percieavble gain?????

apart from stopping two guards being robbed?

and stopping thousands of pounds being stolen?

thats what i mean, it is the same thing

somebody will call it stupid, somebody will call it heroic

The only likely result of an unarmed guy trying to take on two men armed with firearms is him (and quite possibly bystanders) getting shot, which is exactly what happened, so yes no perceivable gain.

They got away, he got severely injured and increased the chances of other people getting injured and all to try and protect something that wasn't his and will have been insured anyway, no perceivable gain.

To me a hero is someone who does something difficult, dangerous and worthwhile whilst knowing the risks and doing it anyway, preferably without endangering others. This guy is just dumb.

A few months ago I got into a bit of a fight outside a night club with two guys who tried to steal my hat, that wasn't heroic it was just dumb as I risked my life for something of no real value, though in my defence atleast I wasn't foolish enough to tangle with two guys with guns.

The only likely result of an unarmed guy trying to take on two men armed with firearms is him (and quite possibly bystanders) getting shot, which is exactly what happened, so yes no perceivable gain.

They got away, he got severely injured and increased the chances of other people getting injured and all to try and protect something that wasn't his and will have been insured anyway, no perceivable gain.

To me a hero is someone who does something difficult, dangerous and worthwhile whilst knowing the risks and doing it anyway, preferably without endangering others. This guy is just dumb.

A few months ago I got into a bit of a fight outside a night club with two guys who tried to steal my hat, that wasn't heroic it was just dumb as I risked my life for something of no real value, though in my defence atleast I wasn't foolish enough to tangle with two guys with guns.

all depends what you class as of no value or as some value aswell i suppose?

but isnt being heroic also to do with doing something brave? whether its for something worthwile or not?

Without blowing my own trumpet, I tackled a lad with a weapon a while ago, he was going to stab this other fella, I dropped him before he had a chance to do anything. Was it stupid, reckless and foolhardy? Bloody right! Would I do it again? In all honesty, yes.

It's not about trying to be a hero just doing what you feel is right at the time.

I would say that was rather heroic as he was actually going to stab somebody rather than simply deprive him of insured valuables, also he was armed with a knife not a gun and there was only one of him so whilst you took a major risk you had much better odds on your side than the guy in the article and you took that risk in a more useful cause.

I would say that was rather heroic as he was actually going to stab somebody rather than simply deprive him of insured valuables, also he was armed with a knife not a gun and there was only one of him so whilst you took a major risk you had much better odds on your side than the guy in the article and you took that risk in a more useful cause.

but plek isnt your idea slightly less heroic..........always downgrading the risk

somebody trying to save something / somebody from somebody with a gun is more heroic / stupid than somebody with a knife for the precise reason, its more dangerous?

True Plek, but I imagine it was the same for this guy as it was for me: A couple of milliseconds to decide whether to do something or stand down. Injustice is injustice regardless of the severity of the crime. It's whether your brain can do the math quick enough which makes you either a hero or a foolhardy bufoon :|

Me, I ended up doing well, however, a couple of inches to the right and I could have easily become the ill advised bufoon.

but plek isnt your idea slightly less heroic..........always downgrading the risk

somebody trying to save something / somebody from somebody with a gun is more heroic / stupid than somebody with a knife for the precise reason, its more dangerous?

No my idea is that you shouldn't risk your life for someone else's insured property.

Especially not when those trying to seize the property outnumber you and have guns, risking your life in an unnecessary cause with pretty much no chance of success is dumb not heroic.

True Plek, but I imagine it was the same for this guy as it was for me: A couple of milliseconds to decide whether to do something or stand down. Injustice is injustice regardless of the severity of the crime. It's whether your brain can do the math quick enough which makes you either a hero or a foolhardy bufoon :|

Me, I ended up doing well, however, a couple of inches to the right and I could have easily become the ill advised bufoon.

Atleast your cause would have been unquestionably worthwhile and the odds against you wouldn't have been absurdly high, failure in your case atleast wouldn't have been all but inevitable. Guys with knives get them taken off them all the time, when was the last time you heard of a single unarmed guy taking on and beating 2 men with firearms?

• 3 years later...

Archived