Anyone remember the parade in Darnall?

Of course you are right, Parsleydiva, it was Easter Monday - must have had a Senior moment. Whit Monday was the Walk.

I don't remember Asa Smith - what years would he have been in the Parade?

My brother and sister-in-law played an active part in the medical aid for some years, John and Lynn Coyle, also a good friend of mine David T Ward.

David T Ward was our youth leader at Darnall Congs and loved by all the Bible Class and Youth Club. Have some very happy memories.

Of course you are right, Parsleydiva, it was Easter Monday - must have had a Senior moment. Whit Monday was the Walk.

I don't remember Asa Smith - what years would he have been in the Parade?

I don't remember Asa Smith either so can't help you on that one!

• 1 year later...

It was 1948 when keiron moore did the judging for the dma queen my sister won it she only entered to have a close up of him but was delighted to win infact there was aphotograph in the star a few months ago on saturday night showing old photos it showed the retiring queen I think her name was margaret congratulating my sister

I was queen around 1980 / 81.

I wonder if Lol Fenton was the other female impersonator that I used to see now and again with Ernest. In the years that I saw the parade they raised money for the Medical Aid Society (not much money from the government). My Mum was the District nurse from about 1945 well into the 50's so, as kids, we were unpaid helpers every year until I left home.

I don't think it was Lol they were thinking about, Lol used to be the Dame in the pantomine but wouldn't class him as a female impersonator.

My brother and sister-in-law played an active part in the medical aid for some years, John and Lynn Coyle

I know John and Lynn, played a big part in the pantomines, Lynn being principal boy and John as stage manager

Those were the days

Funny how I replied to this thread only the other day, I am sad to say that my Grandma Mrs Winifred Brittain known to many as Mrs B and on parade days was always found in the kitchen in the DMA HQ on Fisher Lane doing the refreshments and did a great cup of tea for all the participants, died last night quietly in her sleep at the grand old age of 96.

Funny how I replied to this thread only the other day, I am sad to say that my Grandma Mrs Winifred Brittain known to many as Mrs B and on parade days was always found in the kitchen in the DMA HQ on Fisher Lane doing the refreshments and did a great cup of tea for all the participants, died last night quietly in her sleep at the grand old age of 96.

My deepest sympathies on your sad loss. Was your Grandfather Vic Brittain leader of the Darnall Scout Group?