A little bit of Sheffield all over the world

After dinner today (or as we say an Canada"After supper today" )I was drying the dishes as the 'storm and strife 'was washing them.

For the several hundredth time I dried a knife "Robert. F Mosley Ltd " Sheffield ,Stainless.

This knife is the rectangular type, blunt end, with a bone handle.

Millions must have been made.

It once belonged to my mother-in-law who was 4th generation Canadian.

Anyone who has a cutlery drawer or a tool box and have inherited belongings from parents or in-laws probably posses something made in Sheffield.

I would guess that 8 out of 10 dwellings in the English speaking world have something made in Sheffield.

This knife has got to be 75 <> years old ,but it is the only knife i will use to spread things on the bread.

My father -in-law built a cottage on Georgian Bay after WW11 ,I found a pair of old sheep sheers 'Guy & Sons Sheffield'

It seems my wife had a great uncle who kept sheep

Thanks to Sheffield quality these things outlast us.

Long live "Made in Sheffield"

Of course, and so was mine. He still has the Sheffield accent though, but hasnt lived here for years. :)

Nice to know ! My son is working with American kids and is determined that at least one of them will be saying ' nah then thee, ows tha gooin on ' by the time he comes home !

We have a couple of knives that belonged to my wife's grandmother, made by Joseph Fenton & Sons Sheffield, must be over a hundred years old and although well worn, are still in use.

Looking around a boatyard in Botany Bay, the railway tracks that the boats are hauled out on say Made in Sheffield, also most of the rolling mill machinery used in the Port Kembla steelworks were made in Sheffield, so was I & proud of it.

We have a couple of knives that belonged to my wife's grandmother, made by Joseph Fenton & Sons Sheffield, must be over a hundred years old and although well worn, are still in use.

Looking around a boatyard in Botany Bay, the railway tracks that the boats are hauled out on say Made in Sheffield, also most of the rolling mill machinery used in the Port Kembla steelworks were made in Sheffield, so was I & proud of it.

Exactly what I was saying.

Nice to know ! My son is working with American kids and is determined that at least one of them will be saying ' nah then thee, ows tha gooin on ' by the time he comes home !

Yes, my son lives in America but my he soon slips into the Yorkshire accent when he comes home for a visit.

Archived