Tracing Cousins

Greetings from OZ.

My wife and I were browsing Yorkshire sites because we are considering a trip to the UK next year. I would like to trace and meet some of my cousins while there.

My mother was born Violet Spooner in East Brightside, Sheffield on 18th July 1909, and used to often mention Bole Hill Rd and the River Rivelin.

Her sisters were Mabel who stayed in England, and Evelyn, Beatrice, and Margaret, and a younger brother John, all of whom moved to South Australia between 1918 and 1924. Mabel's daughter's name was Winnie. An Uncle Herbert, whom I understand was a local "Bobby", was often mentioned too.

Are any of you out there?

welcome to sheffield forum, Psyber.

there is a local newspaper that does a column, on a saturday, "tracing long lost relatives", the newspaper is called The Star. try e-mailing them (have a look as "sheffieldtoday" on the net, I think the contact details will be on there if yousend them an email with the details.

I will warn you that east brightside and bole hills/ rivelin are quite a distance apart. Did your mother live in Brightside first, then move, later, to Bole Hills, perhaps?

Do you have approximate dates (or at least years) of births for some of the other family members? That could help, searching genealogical records...

best of luck in your search. Hope this has given you more avenues to look along.

PT

welcome to sheffield forum, Psyber.

there is a local newspaper that does a column, on a saturday, "tracing long lost relatives", the newspaper is called The Star. try e-mailing them (have a look as "sheffieldtoday" on the net, I think the contact details will be on there if yousend them an email with the details.

I will warn you that east brightside and bole hills/ rivelin are quite a distance apart. Did your mother live in Brightside first, then move, later, to Bole Hills, perhaps?

Do you have approximate dates (or at least years) of births for some of the other family members? That could help, searching genealogical records...

best of luck in your search. Hope this has given you more avenues to look along.

PT

Mother's birth Certificate states that she was born at East Brightside, but from what she described they lived in the hills somewhere along Bolehill Road prior to her moving to Australia with her widowed mother and younger brother in 1924.. Her father and two of his brothers were builders and appear to have owned a quarry between them.

Her 3 older sisters had all married Aussie WWI servicemen and moved to Adelaide in South Australia between 1918 and 1924.

Thanks for the tip about The Star - I'll follow it up.

The other side of my family may be even harder to trace - my father was born in South Australia and his family came from Penzance [or surrounding districts] in the late 1890s.

From the Cornish perspective I was seen as stubborn like my mother, while my mother perceived me as "quick-tempered " like my father.

• 2 weeks later...
welcome to sheffield forum, Psyber.....I will warn you that east brightside and bole hills/ rivelin are quite a distance apart. Did your mother live in Brightside first, then move, later, to Bole Hills, perhaps?..PT

That comment suprised me at first. Perspective is interesting. I've been on Google Earth and from my viewpoint they look close although the directions are different as you say.

My wife, who has been to the UK before, has told me British cities "don't stretch on forever" like those in Australia. For example, my outer suburban home in the mountains [Dandenong Ranges] on Melbourne's eastern fringe are 50Km [30 miles] from the GPO but within the Metropolitan Taxi Zone. Melbourne with barely 5 million people occupies a larger area than New York.

The nearest other state capital cities are Sydney at 800Km [500 miles] and Adelaide at about 880Km [550 miles]. There are some small cities or large towns near Sydney and Melbourne, but most other towns are usually a few scattered houses [perhaps 3 to 30], a pub, and maybe a petrol station.

When you realise Britain is less than 580 miles by 280 miles, it is easy to see how it affects the way you see distance.

G`day Psyber...

I`ve been to Aus twice in the last 7 years, Visiting my sister in Brisbane and visiting my husbands relatives in Sydney.... Till you drive or fly internally you dont realise how vast Australia is...:huh:

When you arrive in the U.K you will think that you are driving on a postage stamp :hihi: Compared to Aus it`s tiny...

Bring plenty of money if you plan on travelling around, In comparison to Australia it`s very expensive...

Enjoy your trip when you come, (I`m sure you will) ..... The U.K is a beautiful country... Which I am very proud of ..... There are some great places to visit, Yorkshire Dales, Derbyshire, Devon and Cornwall, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.... too many to mention... Bring your road map and compass..:thumbsup:

Australia is just as beautiful, Stunning, Awsome country, too.... I love it :love:

Good Luck in tracing your family... Before you come....

Hi.

The other side of my family may be even harder to trace - my father was born in South Australia and his family came from Penzance [or surrounding districts] in the late 1890s.

This may be easier than you think as Cornwall has numerous online resources,including census and parish register transcriptions.

http://www.cornwalleng.com/

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I also research my husbands family in Cornwall.

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/#common

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/ENG/CORNISH-GEN.html

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Penzance/index.html

Tuppie

Hi, psyber, have you had a look at http://www.genesreunited.co.uk - I've just had a quick look, and there is a "Violet Spooner" born 1909 on there... (of course, that could be you submitting the name!!!) there are some of the other names you mentioned as well, all born around 1910 -1920. It might give you a head start before coming over......!!

Thanks CaviQ, Tuppie, and CarolW.

I'll look up those Cornish references later. Yes the Violet Spooner on "genesunited" is my mother - posted by me via the Oz version of the site some years ago. I'll look at the UK version this evening - it's 3.30pm here now and I am going out.

As I have "patriality" and we have minimal living family here now, we may even look at staying in the UK. My wife is part French and would like that anyway. The planned initial trip is exploratory.

I am middle-aged, professional, and have inherited money, so the options are open.

Archived