Fletchers Bread Vans (Barrys van) Gleadless

We could do with a van round here what with there being hardley any shops, they were a godsend in there day.

Anyone remember Barrys van what used to go round Gleadless?

Not that one but I remember one that used to park outside my sisters house on the Wybourn about 10 years back.

The best custard tarts in the world. :D

We could do with a van round here what with there being hardley any shops, they were a godsend in there day.

Anyone remember Barrys van what used to go round Gleadless?

I use to like a boy that drove for Fletchers, Terry Cox, must be close 70 now :o I think he married a girl called Vallerie

Not that one but I remember one that used to park outside my sisters house on the Wybourn about 10 years back.

The best custard tarts in the world. :D

That was Harold (the guy with the glasses and the very round face)!

I also remember him from wybourn. He did some lovely buns with tons of yellow buttercream swirled on top and a cherry:love:

Can you remember Tom, the man with the shop in a van, used to sell fruit, veg, sweets, fags etc. He used to be on the estate really late, we used to sit up waiting for him to come on a saturday night, and go and get tons of cola bottles off him!

I remember Barry's van. Still see him sometimes.

God how everyone relied on his van. Remember bloke who had it before him too but can't remember his name.

Even after all these years since the van not been around, still sadly missed. the peolpe who bought van from Barry didn't do very well with it and just stopped doing it. surprisingly no one doing anything like that anymore, but Isuppose it would be an easy target for kids to rob.

• 5 months later...
I use to like a boy that drove for Fletchers, Terry Cox, must be close 70 now :o I think he married a girl called Vallerie

If we are talking about the same person Terry Cox started to work for Fletchers in the 60's he used to deliver bread to my nans shop on City road. he later became a manager at the bakery on clay wheels lane where he stayed all his working life. He used to live on Gleadless common. We lost touch years ago. If my memory serves me right didnt he loose an eye in an accident?

Archived