Fletchers Bread Vans (Barrys van) Gleadless

Can you remember Tom, the man with the shop in a van, used to sell fruit, veg, sweets, fags etc. He used to be on the estate really late, we used to sit up waiting for him to come on a saturday night, and go and get tons of cola bottles off him!

Our next door neighbour was called Tom, who drove a blue grocery van - wonder if it was him?

We had a van going around Southey area on a regular basis but I've not noticed it for a few weeks. (Unless I've gone deaf :hihi:)

If we are talking about the same person Terry Cox started to work for Fletchers in the 60's he used to deliver bread to my nans shop on City road. he later became a manager at the bakery on clay wheels lane where he stayed all his working life. He used to live on Gleadless common. We lost touch years ago. If my memory serves me right didnt he loose an eye in an accident?

Terry Cox sadly passed away last week , Fri 7 March 2008. R.I.P.

Terry Cox sadly passed away last week , Fri 7 March 2008. R.I.P.

Oh, my goodness, I had a crush on that man in my teens, we use to meet up with him and his pals at the City Hall dances.

What did he die from sandy ? did he marry a girl called Vallerie,? they dated for a long time.

Oh, my goodness, I had a crush on that man in my teens, we use to meet up with him and his pals at the City Hall dances.

What did he die from sandy ? did he marry a girl called Vallerie,? they dated for a long time.

In answer to your questions , Terry died from cancer after a brave fight. He leaves wife Val , 3 grown -up children and 5 grand-children. His service and cremation will be held at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium this Monday 17 March at 10.30am.

In answer to your questions , Terry died from cancer after a brave fight. He leaves wife Val , 3 grown -up children and 5 grand-children. His service and cremation will be held at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium this Monday 17 March at 10.30am.

Thank you sandy, he was just dating Vallerie when I knew him, 5 Granchildren :o he was full of fun, Vallerie was a good looking girl, they were a good match.

Well when I used to live on Arnold Avenue, I can remember the Fletcher's Van coming round with the little baker on it. I always used to get an elephants foot from that van. Those where the days.

Can anyone remeber the Ice Cream van that used to come round with the two ninty nines on the top of it? Also I can still remember a pop man coming round, wher eyou could give him your empty pop bottles.

Archived