Share the old sayings that your gran used to say.

Great-grandmother used to say

"Well if it's a quality carpet, the ash will do it good."

Ha! What was it with grandmothers and carpets? Mine used to chuck tea-leaves all over hers 'to clean it'. What was that all about?!

my nan loved her carpet but they didnt have a fitted ones them days .still remmember the bits of lino to fit round the edges .

Hated having to go home in her head scarf on the bus though cos mum had forgot my hat . ha ha!

Hated having to go home in her head scarf on the bus though cos mum had forgot my hat . ha ha!

Yes! Or even worse, being forced to wear your gran's 'rainmate' in case your hair got wet and you died of pneumonia. (:confused:Did anyone ever die from having wet hair?)

It was worse when it snowed while we there .she.d send us home not only in the head scarf which was bad enough and the rainmac as you mentioned .BUT A PAIR OF GRANDADS WOOLY WORK SOCKS!! on my hands . and then when i complained .me and my siblings will never ever forget them immortal words .NO ONE LOOKS AT YOU IN THE SNOW ! why ?....has everyone got snow blindness or WHAT!!

It was worse when it snowed while we there .she.d send us home not only in the head scarf which was bad enough and the rainmac as you mentioned .BUT A PAIR OF GRANDADS WOOLY WORK SOCKS!! on my hands . and then when i complained .me and my siblings will never ever forget them immortal words .NO ONE LOOKS AT YOU IN THE SNOW ! why ?....has everyone got snow blindness or WHAT!!

When my sister and I went to stay with our grandmother, we went to great lengths to prevent her finding out if we had our period as she was convinced you shouldn't have a bath or shower at that time..I have never understood why.

Yes! Or even worse, being forced to wear your gran's 'rainmate' in case your hair got wet and you died of pneumonia. (:confused:Did anyone ever die from having wet hair?)

Is that one of those things that looked like a bread bag? "You'll catch your death of cold" as my gran used to say :)

yes i heard that old wives tale too. I remmember at nans newyears eve the old tradition on the stroke of midnight a dark haired persons has to bring a piece of coal in .well i was always the dark haired person stood outside freezing her ****** off with a piece of mucky coal in my hand waiting for the clock to strike . Happy days hey ha ha !

Is that one of those things that looked like a bread bag? "You'll catch your death of cold" as my gran used to say :)

Not sure about bread bags...more like a see-through concertina-fold plastic bag, sometimes with little flowers on.

Oh God..the swimming caps she made us wear, as well. Nightmare!:o

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 00:05 ----------

'The cobbler's children are the worst shod'.

Made them sound like horses.

Archived