Credit Checks for rental properties

Anyone had any experience of credit checks estate agents do on you before renting you a property?

I put in an application with Mike Jolly Estates the other week and am waiting to hear back from them. Unfortunately in the past I had some credit card problems and missed some payments, however all credit card troubles (and most of the debt) is now gone, but I'm worried that it will affect my application. Never had any CCJs or anything like that, just missed payments and a few bounced direct debits on my bank account. I have rented for a few years now and have ALWAYS paid rent on time and kept properties in good condition etc, but I know my credit score isn't very good :( Really hoping this doesn't mess up my application as I really need to move into the place next week.

Anyone got any experiences to share, whether they'll give me hope or prepare me for the worst :P

Hi there,

We had the same with Mike Jolly's we ended up having to get a guarantor to go for us, even though we could prove for years that every rent had been paid on time and get references. Don't worry though, they'll be fine with what you've got I'm sure. Mine was a lot worse as I was proper stupid as an 18 year old.

Good luck though

Hmm thanks for that, I think!!

I can get my parents to act as guarantors but they are self employed so I'm not sure if that makes things a bit different or anything! Hope dont have problems with them, guess I'll find out tomorrow or day after so fingers crossed!!

• 4 years later...

Best of luck!

I am a guarantor for somebody renting a house in Sheffield. (He's renting a house which is bigger than he (absolutely) needs, but I'm fed up with paying significant hotel bills when we visit him [his present house isn't big enough and it's cheaper to rent a larger house (more room for him when we're not there) than to rent a small house and pay hotel bills.]

@Haddockman: You may be asked to provide a financial referee for your parents. Because they are self-employed, their accountants would be able to confirm their income

I'm not sure how credit scores count with UK letting agencies. In the US, the credit score is the ultimate reference - it's very difficult to get any other kind (even your bank goes to a rating agency.)

If your personal credit score is low, then you may need to use your parents as financial guarantors.

Best of luck. It appears to be a minefield.

Archived