Free Genealogy advice

I also drew a blank with the marriage, checking indexes from 1891 to 1901 for William Henry Wall and Rose Antcliffe/Antcliff/Antliff. William Henry junior's birth entry is there (Jan-Mar 1894, Vol. 9c Page 500) as is his father's (Jan-Mar 1860, Vol. 9c Page 401). I agree it would be worth obtaining the 1894 birth certificate (cost £7 Via http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp#0) to see if the parents were definitely married.

By the way, in regard to "losing" a few years for the second marriage, I recently got married (for the first time) at 59. I reckon I could do with "losing" a few years....

Congratulations hilsbro, but you're as young as any of us. We are all 21 and a bit!!! :D

Thank you for the info. I do have Wm Hy Wall Jr's birth certif. He was born 10 jan 1894. They lived at Ellis street and (Claimed at least!) thay were married

at the time. Hmmm!!

I am grateful for the info on the location of Wm Hy Sr's birth certificate though. Cheers! :D ...but I remain befuddled over their marriage. Still, maybe I have a few more ideas on where to look.

Oh by the way, had you looked this up for yourself (your family link) or just to help me out???

Thanks

Gen

Well, I suppose I'm a kindly old soul and just thought I'd try to help you out. I've traced most of my own roots back a couple of hundred years (and found a few skeletons in the cupboard...) and I quite enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" - especially when it brings results. I recently discovered that my Sheffield-born great-grandmother (who was illegitimate until her parents wed) was descended from Huguenots who came to North Lincolnshire in the 1620s to drain the fens. Her maiden name was Egarr (that is, after her dad William Egarr married her mother Sarah North). William was born at Keadby, and so after arriving from Flanders my Egarr forebears had lived and died a stone's throw from where I now live. Fascinating...

Hi Genhouhgt

Not sure I like this new nickname

Sorry HENNYPENNY :hihi: I read it wrong! I think I must be dyslexic or something because I do sometimes get my worms wrong!!! :huh:

Thanks for the info.

I do have William Henry Wall Jr's birth cert. Born 10 Jan 1894 at 4ct Ellis Street. Wm Hy Wall Sr. and Rose claim to be married on the cert although as I suspected before that someone might be 'fibbing', I did look for years either side of the birth of their children but still to no avail. Hmmm!!

Auntie Sheila was HORRIFIED at the suggestion that they didnt bother as her grandparents were 'respectable people' but......

I will look into the theory that he may have had a previous marriage and have another go at it.

How many hours do you think you might take to find this out because I might 'pass the buck' if it isnt going to damage my little wallet too much.:|

I also cant find much on Rose's parents, Zackariah Antcliffe of Sheffield and Elizabeth nee Williams of Coalbrook dale, except the census's and her father's death in Sheffield union workhouse where he ended up after leaving his family.

I cant seem to get that far on this particular line for some reason although I have forged ahead on the others!

Oh well

Thanks

Gen

Well thank you Kind soul!!

Yes I agree, family history is fascinating. I am hooked, and learning far more about history than I ever did at school. It actually becomes REAL when you think in terms of your own heritage. I am not as far back on any of my 'lines' as you are tho....yet!!

Gen

I submitted that info! Willam Henry wall was my husbands gt grandfather, married to Rose Antcliffe. He is on the census's but I have not been able to find either his birth certifiate/registry or their marriage.

His mother Sarah nee Hughes was born around 1837 in Ireland and I was led to believe that Thomas Wall his father was catholic, although either he or his son William Henry abandoned catholicism at some point.

Does anyone know where/how to look up catholic marriage registers, or which Catholic churches were in the Hollis croft area around 1850's - 1900 where they may have married? :help:

Could this be Thomas Wall's burial? Found at

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/BurialIndex.html

WALL, THOMAS (buried St Patrick's section, age 52yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on January 15, 1888 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 20, Section G of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

and Sarah Wall:-

WALL, SARAH (buried St Patrick's section, age 55yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on April 3, 1892 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 14, Section R of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

And this looks like William Henry Wall:-

WALL, WILLIAM H (buried St Vincent's section, age 49yr).

Died at UNION; Buried on October 30, 1909 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 280, Section A of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

Could this be Thomas Wall's burial? Found at

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/BurialIndex.html

WALL, THOMAS (buried St Patrick's section, age 52yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on January 15, 1888 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 20, Section G of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

and Sarah Wall:-

WALL, SARAH (buried St Patrick's section, age 55yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on April 3, 1892 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 14, Section R of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

And this looks like William Henry Wall:-

WALL, WILLIAM H (buried St Vincent's section, age 49yr).

Died at UNION; Buried on October 30, 1909 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 280, Section A of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

It is William H for sure. He died 23 oct 1909 age 49 and all the details fit.

Sarah and Thomas DID live in Jericho Street too and I know thos died 1888, so YES!!

Gosh you are good!!!! :D

Many thanks Thats amazing.

Gen

Hi Genhouhgt

Thanks for the info.

I do have William Henry Wall Jr's birth cert. Born 10 Jan 1894 at 4ct Ellis Street. Wm Hy Wall Sr. and Rose claim to be married on the cert although as I suspected before that someone might be 'fibbing', I did look for years either side of the birth of their children but still to no avail. Hmmm!!

Auntie Sheila was HORRIFIED at the suggestion that they didnt bother as her grandparents were 'respectable people' but......

I will look into the theory that he may have had a previous marriage and have another go at it.

How many hours do you think you might take to find this out because I might 'pass the buck' if it isnt going to damage my little wallet too much.:|

I also cant find much on Rose's parents, Zackariah Antcliffe of Sheffield and Elizabeth nee Williams of Coalbrook dale, except the census's and her father's death in Sheffield union workhouse where he ended up after leaving his family.

I cant seem to get that far on this particular line for some reason although I have forged ahead on the others!

Oh well

Thanks

Gen

It shouldn't take too long to find the marriage *if* it is at St Vincent's or St Marie's ;)

Do you have a definite link to Zackariah and Elizabeth Antcliffe? I noticed another Rose Antcliffe on the 1891 census who could have been a possible wife for William Henry Wall.

There is also the possibility that in 1891 she had another name and then married an Antcliffe before marrying William Henry, or conversely, she could have been called Antcliffe as her maiden name, but had another marriage first so that when she married William Henry it was under another name, which could explain the lack of success in searching for the marriage. Many possibilities.

Most workhouses had an infirmary attached, so Zackariah hadn't necessarily left his family, he may have been a patient there.

Archived