Music at The Black Swan

• 1 month later...
Does anyone remember the "New Formula" who played on the Black Swan in the sixties. I believe the singer had a dummy hand, but could he sing.

Yes I can remember them well. As you say they were a fabulous band. Used to to watch them wherever I could. and didnt the drummer go on to Paper Lace? or have I got mixed up (not unusual, that):confused:

• 4 months later...

I remember the New Formula. They recorded 'My Baby's Coming Home' which I think made the charts at the time. When they were billed at the Black Swan it'd be standing room only and they'd still be trying to squeeze in. The singer had one arm and wore a black glove over his artificial hand - cool. He was one of the most talented singers around even to this day. Does anyone know what happened to him? The New Formula did become Paper Lace but I think the singer had left the band by then. Didn't they record 'Billy Don't be a Hero'? I could be wrong. I remember Shape of the Rain, another brilliant band - that drummer.... There were so much talent and the Black Swan was the perfect venue. Apart from the bands, a Black Swan memory that stands out is the waitresses navigating their way through the crowd carrying two trays laden with drinks - the tray of shorts balanced on the top of the pints. Must have weighed a fair bit yet never a drop spilled. Having said that, the punters would part to make way, obviously in honor of all those pints...

what about joe cocker at the mucky duck when he slagged off an old ,now departed,freind of mine Ray stuart.his real name was ray brooks and came from dronfield.

I have been trying to find out who this band is at a concert in Weston Park. This was back in the 60/70's.

Is the DJ in the corner of the shot Ray Stewart?

I noticed it said Ray on his consul. I remember him from the Monsters when they played at the Silver Blades in 1966/67/68? and as DJ in the Daisy. But I cant remember if this is how he looked in 69/70.

Weston Park Concert

• 2 months later...

Archived