Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

I totally agree with you, StarSparkle - I think it's disgusting.

Apparently there was even a Sky reporter on board the same flight....and then BBC's Jane Hill was "sort of" condemning the media pack for crowding/following the McCanns to the airport whilst showing the bloody film!

But this isn't anything new though, the media have behaved the same as they did from the beginning of the case.

In the early days of Madeleine's disappearance one the TV camera's (Can't recall whether it was SkyNews or BBC) was filming Kate as she was walking out of one building and going into another, with the reporter making the comment, " Kate there obviously wanting a quiet moment to be left alone"..... hmmm, nice observation but it hadn't actually occurred to the said reporter, that it was actually THEIR news camera that Kate was trying to be left alone from!:suspect:

Having said that though, this is where the Mccanns can't really expect to dictate terms to the media, as it was the Mccanns that used the media to make their campaign so high profile in the first place.

Even the the last few days various members of the Mccann family have been using the media to protest Kate and Gerry's innocence, only they seem to have forgotten, that the Portugusese police don't want any information to be discussed,

so why then have Philomena McCann and Justine McGuinness etc, spoken to the British media about what Kate was questioned about? This is primarily a Portuguses investigation and I feel it was totally wrong for Philomena McCann and other members of team Mccann, not to respect the Portugusese police, by not maintaining a silence about what was said in the interviews. Sure, the ever hungry media may have asked family members about what did the police ask Kate, but surely a more sensible course of action would be to say "no comment" to the media.

The point being here that you can't expect to court the media to get a certain point of view across, and then expect the media to go away because Gerry and Kate want to be left alone.

Right or wrong, the Mccann's high publicity campaign is why the cameras are following them now.

In the early days all the major tv news networks sent a team to the Algarve so that they could have their "live from

Praia de luz " reports, now the news networks have "live from Rothley", so the media haven't changed, their motivation is still the same, they want primarily good news copy!:suspect:

Yes, it does. It's an absolutely crucial in any discussion of this case. It what the whole sorry story pivots on; to what extent are they responsible for what happened given that they weren't there to look after their daughter?

It may not be comfortable for those parents who have done similar things but that's their problem. It's absolutely not right to abandon children of that age. It's neglect. And those parents who defend it are defending wilful neglect.

So says you. The police say otherwise. They have absolutely refuted any suggestion that the McCann's being fifty yards away can possibly be construed as neglect.

So says you. The police say otherwise. They have absolutely refuted any suggestion that the McCann's being fifty yards away can possibly be construed as neglect.

But surely had they been in the same apartment or had a meal earlier with the children present, Madeline would still be with them, wouldn't she?

But this isn't anything new though, the media have behaved the same as they did from the beginning of the case.

In the early days of Madeleine's disappearance one the TV camera's (Can't recall whether it was SkyNews or BBC) was filming Kate as she was walking out of one building and going into another, with the reporter making the comment, " Kate there obviously wanting a quiet moment to be left alone"..... hmmm, nice observation but it hadn't actually occurred to the said reporter, that it was actually THEIR news camera that Kate was trying to be left alone from!:suspect:

Having said that though, this is where the Mccanns can't really expect to dictate to the media, as it was the Mccanns that used the media to make their campaign so high profile in the first place.

Even the the last few days various members of the Mccann family have been using the media to protest Kate and Gerry's innocence, only they seem to have forgotten, that the Portugusese police don't want any information to be discussed,

so why then have Philomena McCann and Justine McGuinness etc, spoken to the British media about what Kate was questioned about? This is primarily a Portuguses investigation and I feel it was totally wrong for Philomena McCann and other members of team Mccan not to respect the Portuguses police by not maintaining a silence about what was said in the interviews. Sure the ever hungry media may have asked family members about what did the police ask Kate but surely a more sensible course of action would be to say "no comment" to the media.

The point being here that you can't expect to court the media for to get a certain point of view across and then expect the media to go away because Gerry and Kate want to be left alone.

Right or wrong, the Mccann's high publicity campaign is why the cameras are following them now.

In the early days all the major tv news networks sent a team to the Algarve so that they could have their "live from

Praia de luz " reports, now the news networks have "live from Rothley", so the media haven't changed, their motivation is still the same, they want primarily good news copy!:suspect:

Very true, just like Princess Diana, they can't choose when you want such attention. If the family meant what it said about being left alone now then family members shouldn't be making any comments. Mixed messages will keep the publicity machine going because people won't believe their protestations.

You think it's not neglect, you're entitled to your opinion. I think it IS neglect to leave children of that age alone in those circumstances, I doubt I'm alone in that view. For example, read this http://www.ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/1017

I'll not be refraining from reminding those who would rather forget it either.

obviously thats just stupid..... its made worse by the fact that they are educated people, we expect more from the so called professionals. ... however .... arnt they paying the ultimate price for their stupidity?

I do feel so sorry for anyone who loses a child, its not the right order of things, but to lose a child under such circumstances .... and not know where they are, what happened or if they will ever be found must be like living in limbo

It must be literally hell on earth. I don't think the vast majority of us can even begin to imagine how terrible the McCann's must feel. They have to live with the results of that one night's negligence for the rest of their lives - as do ALL their children.

I feel desperately sad for the whole family, whatever has happened to Madeleine.

StarSparkle

Very true, just like Princess Diana, they can't choose when you want such attention. If the family meant what it said about being left alone now then family members shouldn't be making any comments. Mixed messages will keep the publicity machine going because people won't believe their protestations.

'Mixed' up is unfortunatly what this incident has been from the moment that poor little angel became a victim. Think their request is to possibly be given a short time to get their bearings and workout where they go from here, at least that's how i saw it. Otherwise would agree as with many who request media input that you can't have it both ways to suit you.

You think it's not neglect, you're entitled to your opinion. I think it IS neglect to leave children of that age alone in those circumstances, I doubt I'm alone in that view.

I'll not be refraining from reminding those who would rather forget it either.

You come over as a very cruel person - I hope you're not this stone-hearted and vengeful in real life.

StarSparkle

InvalidUser - I'm not sure who made you the official memory of everyone on this thread, but I'd be grateful if you could please chill and don't make things so personal.

Re-stating the glaringly obvious is just going to wind people up.

Thank you.

Archived