Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

A 15 year old girl has gone missing in England, 5 days ago, (Rosemary Edwards) yet Maddie is still headline news when nothing new has happened in the case, just shows how some stories really hold the media attention.

Another example of 'poor white woman syndrome' - this girl walked out of home after an argument - as this doesn't fit with being abducted by an older man the press are much less likely to report it. This in turn gives the public a false impression of how prevalent 'child snatched off street/from home by pervert' is, compared with other, much more common circumstances around children's disappearances.

Another good example would be Charlene Downes. This case was recently at trial, but received very little coverage in comparison to say the Millie Dowler case. This girl was from Blackpool, aged about 14-15, blonde, went missing and no trace of her has been found. Two men who ran a local kabab shop were charged with her murder, after one of them was heard to joke that he had put her body into the kebabs. On the surface the case is fairly similar to Millie Dowler, yet the coverage couldn't be more different - but then Charlene was from a working class background, I beleive from a single parent family, she was known to stay out late at night, and there have been allegations that she was involved in prostitution. All these things mean the press are not particularly interested - they may cover the basics of the case, but will not sensationalise it. Unfortunately the far right are exploiting this case, saying the lack of coverage is part of a widespread campaign not to portray anyone from an ethnic minority in a negative light (as the accused are Asian), and comparing it with the wisespread coverage of the murder of Anthony Walker in Liverpool. When in fact, it is Charlene's background that has determined the coverage.

A little girl is missing still and must be found 1st and foremost surely .....:mad:

I've seen this mentioned a lot over recent days (not just here) and to be honest you can only look for a child for so long. Where else do they search that they haven't searched already? Where do you draw the line? Even if she had gone missing in this country, a search would not still be going on at this stage of the enquiry (unless any new leads were received). The focus would be on determining what happened and looking for solid leads as to her whereabouts rather than randomly searching (which can go on forever without result) - and I am sure the Portuguese police are doing this.

In my considered opinion, George Galloway is a publicity seeking, money grabbing, two faced barrel of excrement.

..and I would agree with you. However, even publicity seeking, money grabbing, two faced barrel of excrements sometimes tell the truth, and I do believe there is a lot of truth in the way he describes the double standards of the press reaction to the McCann case.

I read a quote from Gerry McCann at the weekend (cant remember where sorry) that they would have to cover all the costs of defending themselves out of their own pockets, as they were not allowed to use any of the 'missing madeleine' funds. ;)

Yep.

All you have to do is put yourself in the McCanns' shoes for 1 minute.

* They have arrived home in a blaze of publicity that they are formal suspects in the disapperance of their child

* They have arrived home in a blaze of publicity to the general public's consensus potentially now being a higher % believing the McCanns might have cause to be involved in their daughter's disappearance.

(Minute's up) :cool:

With that in mind:

They would never dream of dipping into public contribution to fund Gerry McCann's promise yesterday that he will return to Praia da Luz every 2 weeks to be updated about the Portuguese police's investigation progress and be available for questioning if required.

To even admit and use public contributions for this promise, would compromise how the public perceive their sense of judgement and morality - with the new bearing on the case since last Friday

Moreover, the McCanns are not destitute, on a higher bracket of income and standard of living than the status quo.

Nothing is stopping Gerry McCann forward booking EasyJet return tickets for every 2 weeks from East Midlands to Faro, and providing the Portuguese police with all of the booking references and shutting down his PC, and then trying to resume a semblance of normality with his family in Leicestershire.

PS: Gerry McCann makes no mention if Kate McCann wishes to accompany him on thse fortnightly trips.

I've seen this mentioned a lot over recent days (not just here) and to be honest you can only look for a child for so long. Where else do they search that they haven't searched already? Where do you draw the line? Even if she had gone missing in this country, a search would not still be going on at this stage of the enquiry (unless any new leads were received). The focus would be on determining what happened and looking for solid leads as to her whereabouts rather than randomly searching (which can go on forever without result) - and I am sure the Portuguese police are doing this.

I doubt the parents think like that :rolleyes:

..and I would agree with you. However, even publicity seeking, money grabbing, two faced barrel of excrements sometimes tell the truth, and I do believe there is a lot of truth in the way he describes the double standards of the press reaction to the McCann case.

I would agree too. Especially around the issue of class. God help the single mum from a council house in Gleadless Valley, Parson Cross, Manor or Arbourthorne. I think press coverage and the fight to get the child back would, sadly, be very different.

Yep.

All you have to do is put yourself in the McCanns' shoes for 1 minute.

* They have arrived home in a blaze of publicity that they are formal suspects in the disapperance of their child

* They have arrived home in a blaze of publicity to the general public's consensus potentially now being a higher % believing the McCanns might have cause to be involved in their daughter's disappearance.

(Minute's up) :cool:

With that in mind:

They would never dream of dipping into public contribution to fund Gerry McCann's promise yesterday that he will return to Praia da Luz every 2 weeks to be updated about the Portuguese police's investigation progress and be available for questioning if required.

To even admit and use public contributions for this promise, would compromise how the public perceive their sense of judgement and morality - with the new bearing on the case since last Friday

Moreover, the McCanns are not destitute, on a higher bracket of income and standard of living than the status quo.

Nothing is stopping Gerry McCann forward booking EasyJet return tickets for every 2 weeks from East Midlands to Faro, and providing the Portuguese police with all of the booking references and shutting down his PC, and then trying to resume a semblance of normality with his family in Leicestershire.

PS: Gerry McCann makes no mention if Kate McCann wishes to accompany him on thse fortnightly trips.

Looking at the 2 and reading the body language I dont think he would be allowed to go anywhere without her,if he did we might get to the truth very very quickly.Make of that statement what you will,I dont think I have the need to,and have no intention of expanding on it on here

Archived