Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

[

I would have thought that what the Portuguse said in the interview was also off limits, whether she was a formal suspect or not.

Alas, "would have thoughts" don't count for very much compared media conglomerates who deal with libel/slander/confidentiality laws daily as their bread and butter, if their editions get pulled or not.

I think it would all have been sorted out within a day or two if the British police had been able to step in sooner.

Really?:huh:

Genette Tate, Suzy Lamplugh, Lord Lucan to name just a few high profile unsolved missing persons cases.

Which police force investigated these cases?

Surely not the British Police!:roll:

So as regards my post on Police procedure then that must translate as

1.The McCanns are lying and the Police are being truthful

or

2.The McCanns are telling the truth and the Police are lying.

Simple as

Now you have got to ask the question ..Would the Police come out with an outright blatant lie considering the worldwide high profile of the situation,knowing that probably every government in the world will be awaiting the outcome,and the possible political repercussions if they were lying?

Given that the police have not made any statement of any kind whatsoever, and will not because Portuguese law forbids them from doing so ... I really don't know where you're trying to go with this.

Pedantry alert! It is for the prosecution to prove guilt; the jury merely decides if they have done so. They don't try to prove anything.

But essentially, you're right. In Portugal, as here, unless and until you've been convicted in a court of law, you are an innocent man. Or, in their case, an innnocent couple.

That will be a relief to them then. They can just sit back and relax without any legal assistance.

IF you have donated to this fund and IF they are proved to have something to do with the child's disappearance and IF they used money from the fund for their defence what would your feelings be?

Oi, I asked the question! ;) My feelings are neither here not there really I was simply suggesting that if the principles of the fund are upheld then they should be able to use the money in court, and in hotels and restaurants in Portugal, because if they lock up the McCann's and you believe what the McCann's say they still won't have found out what's happened to the girl.

Incidentally the 'fund' is actually a limited company with shareholders and directors, including family and friends of the McCann's. A true 'fund' with 3rd party trustees wouldn't operate in that way but it seems that the McCann's wanted to retain control on how the funds were used for the 'investigation'. So would I if I were in their position.

From their website:

1.1 The full objects of the Fund are:

1.1.1 To secure the safe return to her family of Madeleine McCann who was abducted in Praia da Luz, Portugal on Thursday 3rd May 2007;

1.1.2 To procure that Madeleine’s abduction is thoroughly investigated and that her abductors, as well as those who played or play any part in assisting them, are identified and brought to justice; and

1.1.3 To provide support, including financial assistance, to Madeleine’s family.

1.2 If the above objects are fulfilled then the objects of the Foundation shall be to pursue such purposes in similar cases arising in the United Kingdom, Portugal or elsewhere

Under Company Law it would be quite acceptable to use the funds to defend the directors / shareholders if it was in the fiduciary interests of the Company, but it also reads as though the family can use the money in connection with the disappearance anyway.

Really?:huh:

Genette Tate, Suzy Lamplugh, Lord Lucan to name just a few unsolved missing persons cases.

Which police force investigated these cases?

Surely not the British Police!:roll:

But with Tate and Lamplugh we are talking being abducted/murdered a.from the countryside(could have vanished anywhere over a rather large area they only knew where she was last seen and b. a 25 y o woman who could have got voluntary into a car and gone anywhere not from a 12 x 6 apartment in a complex where the place must have been crawling with evidence.I agree the British Police should have been in charge things would have moved a lot quicker.As for Lucan a member of the aristocracy he was always as safe as houses,the Police could get no way near him

The fact remains that this is a Portuguese led investigation, and that Portuguses law should really be respected

I agree. Portuguese laws should be respected, but to be fair it's best respected in Portugal only.

Once the Portuguese police allowed the McCanns board that EasyJet flight, they knew the McCanns could say as they wished.

As I said, if it broke terms of their "release", you wouldnt be reading that CNN link now via an injuction block.

The Portugusese police most likely took a dim view of this, and would most likely make things a lot worse for the Mccanns, guilty or not.:huh:

I wouldn't worry, the Portuguese police are very used to having dim views... (allegedly)

But seriously, their "views" mean nothing in a court of law when the police were complicit to boarding the McCanns onto a plane to the UK.

They can ask for the McCanns to return to PraiaDL with 5 days notice if they wish to warn and punish the nature of what has been in the press.

The McCanns will still be in the UK this Sunday.

But with Tate and Lamplugh we are talking being abducted/murdered a.from the countryside(could have vanished anywhere over a rather large area they only knew where she was last seen and b. a 25 y o woman who could have got voluntary into a car and gone anywhere not from a 12 x 6 apartment in a complex where the place must have been crawling with evidence.I agree the British Police should have been in charge things would have moved a lot quicker.As for Lucan a member of the aristocracy he was always as safe as houses,the Police could get no way near him

Not sure what the difference is? What evidence would the apartment be crawling with?

If Madeleine was abducted then the abductors may well have fled to a huge area by land or sea.:huh:

Archived