Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Lets just read between the lines shall we on actual facts or should I say fact,singular

The portugese police have offered a deal, fact

We don't know if this is a fact - it is only what has been reported by members of the family, when the McCanns themselves are not allowed to disclose details of the questionning (which I assume applies to disclosing this to anyone, including family). A report on the BBC at the weekend said that crimes in Portugal carry fixed sentences, with no leeway given to allow judges to be lenient as a result of any deals done by the police - hence the police can't offer a deal as such.

Not sure what the difference is?

If Madeleine was abducted then the abductors may well have fled to a huge area by land or sea.:huh:

If she was abducted but even the Police dont believe that hence the offer.

Anyway I was just defending our Police system which,even though its far from perfect,I believe is the best in the world,the same goes for our army..not the football team though

I think it would all have been sorted out within a day or two if the British police had been able to step in sooner.

Why? I find it odd the way people talk on this thread as if the British police are infallible. There are plenty of instances where they have failed to solve cases. Take one that has been mentioned a few times on here - Millie Dowler. A very high profile case, her body wasn't found for 6 months and they have never caught the killer.

We don't know if this is a fact - it is only what has been reported by members of the family, when the McCanns themselves are not allowed to disclose details of the questionning (which I assume applies to disclosing this to anyone, including family). A report on the BBC at the weekend said that crimes in Portugal carry fixed sentences, with no leeway given to allow judges to be lenient as a result of any deals done by the police - hence the police can't offer a deal as such.

Of course they can offer a deal,fixed sentence or not,they are reported to have offered a two year max all they have to do is see what offence that can be charged under the circumstances carries a two year tariff

But with Tate and Lamplugh we are talking being abducted/murdered a.from the countryside(could have vanished anywhere over a rather large area they only knew where she was last seen and b. a 25 y o woman who could have got voluntary into a car and gone anywhere not from a 12 x 6 apartment in a complex where the place must have been crawling with evidence.I agree the British Police should have been in charge things would have moved a lot quicker.As for Lucan a member of the aristocracy he was always as safe as houses,the Police could get no way near him

Suzy Lamplugh went missing in Fulham - hardly the countryside!

Of course they can offer a deal,fixed sentence or not,they are reported to have offered a two year max all they have to do is see what offence that can be charged under the circumstances carries a two year tariff

Erm, and if there isn't such a charge? They can hardly get away with charging her with burglary or something like that!

Anyway I was just defending our Police system which,even though its far from perfect,I believe is the best in the world,the same goes for our army..not the football team though

I am not knocking the British Police but just get fed up when people state, "of course if the British police were brought in earlier the case would have been solved in days!"

There is little foundation for such a view, whether the British police are a superior force or not. :huh:

Really?:huh:

Genette Tate, Suzy Lamplugh, Lord Lucan to name just a few high profile unsolved missing persons cases.

Which police force investigated these cases?

Surely not the British Police!:roll:

There is of course the little biy who disappeared while on holiday with his mum some years back now. If i remember right were they not actually from Sheffield, he was never found was he? Surely they need to have conclusive proof that the parents did something, before they can actually charge them? Is it so different in Portugal that they can be charged without definate proof or what?

There is of course the little biy who disappeared while on holiday with his mum some years back now. If i remember right were they not actually from Sheffield, he was never found was he? Surely they need to have conclusive proof that the parents did something, before they can actually charge them? Is it so different in Portugal that they can be charged without definate proof or what?

You mean Ben Needham, he is still missing but the Greek police were primarily in charge of that case rather than the British police, that's why I left his name out of my list.

I was referring to the statement as being ridiculous not the situation or the person. My point was simple - that people grieve in different ways and to make out that the McCanns are guilty because they are not expressing their grief in the same way that you and I may is 'ridiculous' and 'silly'.

It's not fair to presume that they are not going through Hell just because they are not in floods of tears on TV.

Fair enough, as i haven't. Though regardless of different ways people react, i am still amazed they haven't wavered once. Though as i also said, Gerry McCann voice did falter on the airport statement yesterday.

Archived