Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Right they offer her a deal where they charge her ,lets say with neglect.. she turns it down

They then find they can prove beyond doubt something so they charge her with a more serious charge than she would be facing if she had taken the deal

Sorry you lost me on this one, maybe having a barbie moment!) What i meant was: If i were to say no i didn't do something that i was been offered a 2 year sentence for, then i was charged and found guilty of that same crime, wouldn't the punishment be more than the 2 years, as i didn't admit to it when given the chance?

Sorry you lost me on this one, maybe having a barbie moment!) What i meant was: If i were to say no i didn't do something that i was been offered a 2 year sentence for, then i was charged and found guilty of that same crime, wouldn't the punishment be more than the 2 years, as i didn't admit to it when given the chance?

In Britain, generally yes; in Portugal, apparently no.

But the point of a plea bargain is that instead of charging you with Crime X, they suggest you plead guilty to Lesser Charge Y. The sentence for Lesser Charge Y is considerably less than you'll get it they charge you with Crime X, and you're found guilty of it.

In short, it's legalized blackmail. Thankfully it never has been legalized in the UK.

But if she said no to the deal then they would look to charge her with something more serious

In Britain, generally yes; in Portugal, apparently no.

But the point of a plea bargain is that instead of charging you with Crime X, they suggest you plead guilty to Lesser Charge Y. The sentence for Lesser Charge Y is considerably less than you'll get it they charge you with Crime X, and you're found guilty of it.

In short, it's legalized blackmail. Thankfully it never has been legalized in the UK.

Of course its legalized in the UK it happens every day in the justice system,and I do mean every day and if you dont believe me have a walk down to the crown court in sheffield,just go in the cafe and keep your lugholes open they discuss deals like they discuss football in the pub,or failing that ask a few of them ,those that dont belt you one will probably explain how it all happens

To get slightly off-topic for a minute, one thing about the TV coverage that irritates me - and both Sky and Auntie are guilty of it - is the way that their reporters invariably refer to the McCanns as "Kate" and "Gerry" as opposed to "Mr. and Mrs."

Is there a reason, I wonder?

To bring the obvious distress further into your living room?

To illicit more sympathy, as if calling them by their Christian names makes the whole affair a little more personal?

The way that one BBC reporter in particular - Jane Hill, perhaps? - speaks of them makes you think that she's known them as family friends for years....

To get slightly off-topic for a minute, one thing about the TV coverage that irritates me - and both Sky and Auntie are guilty of it - is the way that their reporters invariably refer to the McCanns as "Kate" and "Gerry" as opposed to "Mr. and Mrs."

Is there a reason, I wonder?

To bring the obvious distress further into your living room?

To illicit more sympathy, as if calling them by their Christian names makes the whole affair a little more personal?

The way that one BBC reporter in particular - Jane Hill, perhaps? - speaks of them makes you think that she's known them as family friends for years....

Because they are not 'chav scum' and so are more deserving of their sympathy. :suspect:

Of course they have offered a deal her lawyer and others have said so,you dont think her lawyers daft enough to come out with something like that if it wasnt true he would be disbarred and loose his livelyhood

Also the Police would refute it if they had not have offered one,they may not be allowed to tell whats happening but Im damn sure they are allowed to tell whats not happening

As for the fixed tariff iv already explained that read the posts please

Well, hate to break this to you, but lawyers don't always tell the truth. The police have hardly been giving any information, and even that they have given can't be taken too seriously (for instance they were still stating until late last week that the parents were witnesses and not suspects). Unless the police confirm it then I personally would treat it with suspicion.

Well, hate to break this to you, but lawyers don't always tell the truth. The police have hardly been giving any information, and even that they have given can't be taken too seriously (for instance they were still stating until late last week that the parents were witnesses and not suspects). Unless the police confirm it then I personally would treat it with suspicion.

I give up with you..from out of the mouths of children..bye bye

Archived