Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

This case just keeps on getting more and more horrifically surreal.

The possible outcomes are almost too horrible to take in. It's all so desperately sad. The British public are being put through the emotional wringer - so God only knows how the people closely involved are even beginning to cope with all this.

StarSparkle

The possible outcomes are almost too horrible to take in. It's all so desperately sad. The British public are being put through the emotional wringer - so God only knows how the people closely involved are even beginning to cope with all this.

StarSparkle

It is Starsparkle .....What a mess ! :(

I'm not. This case is nothing whatsoever to do with me. I'm no more emotional about this than about the dozens of other children who've been abducted in the last three months.

That's good to hear. I expect knowing you are okay is the one thing that is holding the McCanns together.

The levels of evidence required here are higher than in the US, generally speaking.

A lie detector test can easily be passed by someone who does not get stressed by lying.

All they do is measure biological reactions to stress. Some people can learn to supress these, others may not believe they have done anything wrong and so will not register 'fail' indicators.

Similarly, the situation in which these tests are often run can be highly stressful, in which case very high baseline stress levels will make it very difficult to distinguished increased stress brought on by lying.

Also, failure may be brought about by lying about aspects of a case, not because of involvement but because of other things the individual may not want to get out. Such as in order to tell the truth about something they need to admit another offence, or own up to having an affair, or even something much more mundane which to that person is important enough to lie about.

There are good reasons why they are not used here.

And they are only 60% acurate, even in the best circumstances. Its crazy that they are still used in some countries.

That's good to hear. I expect knowing you are okay is the one thing that is holding the McCanns together.

Doubtful; but at least - should they ever read this thread - they'll know there's at least one person who is NOT trying to muscle in on their private grief by pretending the whole nation feels as bad as they do. :roll:

StarSparkle

I couldnt put it better myself ..... my blood runs cold just thinking about it

I'm not. This case is nothing whatsoever to do with me. I'm no more emotional about this than about the dozens of other children who've been abducted in the last three months.

obviously not a parent and no maternal instincts

I don't think it has anything to do with maternal instincts and I think you are being very insulting to Heyesey. I am childless, but I was bought up in a large family, and my mother who was widowed at an early age never left us on our own. If nothing else the McCanns have to live with the fact that they keft their children on their own with the patio door open. WOULD YOU?

Archived