Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Not saying she would have kept a record, but the diary entries could give an insight into her state of mind, change of thought patterns etc...

I suppose so but if her state of mind appears unbalanced in her diary then that could be down to the fact that her four year old daughter is missing.

I was a bit confused about that. A report over the last few days said that they had been going to, and been given the keys to an Anglican church, which is now being searched and sampled. The press reports may have been a bit confusing.

I think the church (Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Luz: Church of Our Lady of Light) is Roman Catholic but a weekly Anglican service is held there. It was apparently the Catholic priest, Jose Manuel Pacheco, who gave the McCanns a key to the church.

The McCanns were also friendly, however, with the local Anglican minister, the Rev Haynes Hubbard and his wife, Susan. Susan Hubbard was on standby to assist with childminding if the McCanns were taken into custody.

The previous Anglican incumbent, John Wilson, left his post at Easter (though he still has an apartment in Praia da Luz) and there was a month's gap before Haynes Hubbard arrived from Canada on 6 May (just after Madeleine went missing). A final bit of trivia: there is a Norfolk connection between Hubbard (born there), Wilson (previously worked there) and Robert Murat (previously lived there).

The most interesting aspect of this case is that attention, and indeed the nations voyeuristic lust, has switched from wanting to know where the girl is, to speculating over whether the McCanns are guilty or not.

Its been a bloody charade from start to finish and makes me embarrassed to be part of a nation so dismally obsessed with other peoples lives.

I suppose so but if her state of mind appears unbalanced in her diary then that could be down to the fact that her four year old daughter is missing.

There is an interesting field of study/investigation, based on the way in which an individual tells a story and the words they use.

Its fairly complex and requires quite a lot of training, obviously but with something like a diary it could be used.

In America they get suspects to write out the 'story' and also to complete a questionairre, but over here that could be construed as entrapment, but something like a diary could also be used.

Often it is more useful in directing what interview questions to ask, and would be hard to use as direct evidence as it seems reliable but without scientific support.

The sorts of things you can look for are when language used suggests a gap in the story, inconsitencies in times, changes in language used, e.g. someone who bumped off their mum might write about thinks they did saying mum this and mum that. Once she has died, but at a point when this would be known to none but the murderer the language may often change to she this and she that, the murderer depersonalising the act by ceasing to refer to the victim as mum.

There are loads of different sorts of examples, which is why an expert needs to do it, its more based on experience than a set protocol, but would be really interesting (to me anyway!) if they were after a diary to look at that sort of thing.

Sorry to go on - back to the debate!!

Grrr .. they earn £120,000 a year but haven't worked since May? Oh I fecking CRY for them !!!

I find this VERY hard to believe unless you mean they earn £120,000 EACH!!!

GP's have excellent salaries and as for Heart Surgeons - well need I say more?

Archived