Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

The most interesting aspect of this case is that attention, and indeed the nations voyeuristic lust, has switched from wanting to know where the girl is, to speculating over whether the McCanns are guilty or not.

Its been a bloody charade from start to finish and makes me embarrassed to be part of a nation so dismally obsessed with other peoples lives.

But the McCanns have been as responsible as anyone for this! They have been the ones who have insisted that this stays in the public light.

The most interesting aspect of this case is that attention, and indeed the nations voyeuristic lust, has switched from wanting to know where the girl is, to speculating over whether the McCanns are guilty or not.

Its been a bloody charade from start to finish and makes me embarrassed to be part of a nation so dismally obsessed with other peoples lives.

Spot on, Mike - well said.

At what point does leave become unpaid when you work for the NHS?

I don't know. Where I work it is 6 weeks compassionate leave for the death of husband or child. After that you use your holiday entitlement and then it is unpaid leave unless the role needs filling and then you have to either be signed off sick or resign due to inability to complete job.

But the McCanns have been as responsible as anyone for this! They have been the ones who have insisted that this stays in the public light.

Yes. But the English love a real life soap opera more than most, especially one with a twist or a grizzly ending. I think Joe Public would be dissapointed if the McCanns WEREN't to blame now.

As Ben Elton once said, "I have come to the conclusion that British people aren't happy unless things are just a bit sh*t"

Part of the problem of this investigation being so messed up in my opinion is the mass arrival of media, everyone wanting in on the story and the reward fund. What happened to the reward fund by the way:huh:

More often than not nowadays investigations of this calibre are led by the media. No wonder the Portuguese police have been made to look so incompetent as the media have been feeding us how they feel the investigation should be going/heading. Perhaps if the area and the police hadnt been invaded by the media feeding our needs to know every detail whether true or not, we may be in a different situation now.

Archived