Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

There's a case to be made: if the McCanns are innocent but have been charged, and face trial, they need to prove their innocence otherwise the search will stop with their conviction. Since the money is there to keep the search going, and the only way to keep the search going is to fight the charges, the fund will be serving its purpose.

I didn't say it was a good case. But it can be made.

Take your point, but all said and done ...

The moment the McCanns decide to allow the public contributed funds to be used to pursue a defence ( if necessitated ), they know perfectly well they would have a swarm of the general British public condemning this.

They are salaried at the upper end of the scale. What they could declare & offer as collateral for a personal loan would suffice.

But if Team McCann have a meeting about how to spend the funds, you just know there will a plea ( allegedly ) to the " "committee members" to consider the recent alleged reports that high costing extradition QC teams are to be paid for.

Take your point, but all said and done ...

The moment the McCanns decide to allow the public contributed funds to be used to pursue a defence ( if necessitated ), they know perfectly well they would have a swarm of the general British public condemning this.

They are salaried at the upper end of the scale. What they could declare & offer as collateral for a personal loan would suffice.

I posted these quotes in one of my previous posts 1263.

Justine McGuinness : “Gerry and Kate are paying for their own legal team. But they are looking into the legality of using the Find Madeleine campaign fund in the future.”

Gerry Mccann:“It seems like a disaster that we’ve got this huge donated fund and now we’re not allowed to use it for legal costs because we’re under suspicion."

It turns out now that the Mccanns have they decided won't use the funds because they felt that some people wouldn't like the funds to be used in this way.

Again I say, the Madeleine fund really shouldn't have been set up in the first place. It's been 4 months and just how much has been used to search for Madeleine, It stands at £1 million so it's hardly been touched. They didn't need the money to find Madeleine, If she is alive the police will be the ones that find her without the need for the £1 million. :suspect:

Well they paid 3 Dutchmen to follow up a clairvoyants physic message that the girl was killed in the apartment, taken to the beach in a white van and dumped there.

Mind you, they didn't find her. :suspect:

Apparently Gerry wrote on his blog (I've never read it or really want to) that the "fighting fund" was his idea that came to him in a inspirational flash whilst he was in church, implying that it was God that wanted them to set up the fund.:huh:

At the risk of sounding simplistic, and to clear any ambiguity about how the funds should be used ....

It would have been so simple for the fund overseers to advertise the fact that every penny collected for the fund, they would donate 95%-100% of the money as a reward to any person/s who can pinpoint and successfully secure the safe return of Madeleine.

Keep the tally running - like a Telethon/Netathon etc.

An accruing reward amount might still - and just - motivate a whistleblower/s to come forward.

Instead of the vague shambles that is now the eligibility of the fund use currently.

It would have been so simple for the fund overseers to advertise the fact that every penny collected for the fund, they would donate 95%-100% of the money as a reward to any person/s who can pinpoint and successfully secure the safe return of Madeleine.

It would have been - and in fact actually WAS - much simpler still, to just say "send us money to help us find Madeleine" and collect a great big wodge of cash. With any luck, she'll never get found and they can sit quiet for a few months till everybody forgets about her, then keep it for themselves.

...and that's from someone who seems to be following this thread

Following the thread and feeling inclined to point out the bleeding obvious is one thing, sifting through newspapers, TV and web pages to get the lastest tit bit of information on what is now a national farce is another, altogether sadder dimension.

At the risk of sounding simplistic, and to clear any ambiguity about how the funds should be used ....

A much better idea was not to set up a fund in the first place, the reward money has already been pledged by other parties, and is around £2.5 million, that's more than enough to keep anyone quite happy.

At what point does leave become unpaid when you work for the NHS?

I'm surprised that they've not been signed off sick to be honest - though I suppose this was complicated by being in Portugal. Where I work we give up to 5 days compassionate leave for bereavement (obviously we've never had to deal with a child being abducted). If someone needs more than that then we encourage them to go to their doctor and get signed off so that they can still get paid (to a greater or lesser extent). Eligibility for unpaid leave will depend on their contracts - and the T&Cs in the NHS will probably vary depending on grade. Also there is parental leave, which is where you can take unpaid leave due to child issues - but this is up to a maximum of four weeks in any one year and 13 weeks overall.

Archived