Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

It gave lots of people a nice warm fuzzy feeling to be able to give money and hold events and believe they were part of a concerted effort to do something nice...or am I just a mean old cynic?

Well it's claimed that the Mccanns are considering setting up a seperate fund to help them with their legal costs.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2439634.ece

If they did actually set up their own seperate fund, I wonder how many people would contribute this time.

Surely even if entirely innocent the Mccanns have misjudged the public feeling for them, I doubt somehow the public have fallen in love with them, so much so, that they want to help them with their legal costs!:huh:

It's a Forum. It's a General Discussion Forum & we are generally discussing it :)

Yeah ok, that may have sounded a bit nasty :)

I dont mean you all specifically really. I am kind of overwhelmed by the 'interest' surrounding it. I can't seem to go anywhere without people discussing whether they think 'Gerry and Kate Did It'. Seems a bit obscene, really. Like a soap opera or something.

I dont mean you all specifically really. I am kind of overwhelmed by the 'interest' surrounding it. I can't seem to go anywhere without people discussing whether they think 'Gerry and Kate Did It'. Seems a bit obscene, really. Like a soap opera or something.

Thats true....reminds me a bit of the Diana dying stuff, national outpourings of grief and so on. I'm actually more interested in watching the reactions and opinions of people on this thread rather than the nitty gritty details of the case itself....its fascinating.

Yes it is odd really, why is everyone so keen to know ? I personally find myself constantly looking at Sky News to find out the latest. I can't even say it's because I'm a Mum & I sympathise, I think people are just shocked at what's going on & how it's all come about.

Where have you been for the past 4 months?:huh:

I mean throughout the whole time. I feel more sorry for the parents of children who have gone missing during this time that no-one seems to care about because the child is not 'Maddy'.

I am naturally concerned whether they find her alive or not, other than that, if she has been murdered I find it voyeuristic to be too involved in who killed her and why.

Thats exactly the situation - in a crisis everyone likes to think they are doing something altruistic but the truth of the matter is there is no such thing as a totally altruistic action - even if all you get out of it is a warm fuzzy feeling you are still getting something in return.

I really think you have hit the nail on the head there...

Yes it is odd really, why is everyone so keen to know ? I personally find myself constantly looking at Sky News to find out the latest. I can't even say it's because I'm a Mum & I sympathise, I think people are just shocked at what's going on & how it's all come about.

The reason we get so caught up in things like this is because since the day madeliene went missing we have seen her picture numerous times every day. Human nature makes us hope for the best possible outcome as the worst outcome is too unbearable to think about. We have all spent 4 months hoping that this angelic looking little girl will be found alive and well, havng not suffered at the hands of her abductors - no one wants to think that she is actually already lying dead somewhere forgotten about. It was the same for the few weeks that Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman were "missing" everyone tuned in to daily news broadcasts hoping that they would turn up when all along they had been dead about half an hour after they went missing ... and the person responsible was seen on the news out helping search for them and speaking to reporters and the girls' parents.

You said it, I was about to use these exact words.

It is indeed what people are doing now, they want to know what's the latest on the whole Madeleine story, the whole "did they/ didn't they" thing.

The media are making the most of this horrible part of human nature ( voyeurism) :(

They're not even trying to hide it, I think I heard a journalist on the BBC talking about "sensational" news.

Didn't that word use to have some shameful, negative connotation?

Unfortunately, I find myself feeling just as curious as anyone else and I feel quite ashamed of it.

The whole story is a not-so-nice reflection of how despicable human beings can sometimes be.:(

Archived