Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Can I ask you all, why are you so interested? Is it essentially just rubber necking?

The whole case is tragic to me, however, many children must have gone missing since then. What is so special about this that you have to spend so much effort debating over it, when really, we all know nothing about it except what the papers say?

I'm trying not to be interested... I don't own a TV so all I see is the headlines in the newspaper shops and a bit of sky news when I'm at the gym... but even with minimal exposure to it all the story is so addictive - its like the plot from a movie. It becomes hard to remind yourself these are real people and its isn't just a story.. the media blurs the lines between real people / celebrities / fictional characters all the time (Big Brother being a fine example) so it can be hard to treat it as news rather than a story and the coverage of the case has been so full of speculation and half facts that you don't know what to believe which is kind of like a movie too - it has us all guessing all the time, which keeps everyone hooked on the story.

The media circus has really gone into la la land since they were named as suspects - the front page headline in tonights Manchester Evening news was something hilarious along the lines of "Police under orders to seize cuddle cat" Its getting beyond a joke. :huh:

I just wish they'd find madeleine - hopefully alive... though I think the chances are extremely slim now.

I mean throughout the whole time. I feel more sorry for the parents of children who have gone missing during this time that no-one seems to care about because the child is not 'Maddy'.

I am naturally concerned whether they find her alive or not, other than that, if she has been murdered I find it voyeuristic to be too involved in who killed her and why.

That's what I mean, the overblown media coverage has been much discussed in forums and indeed the media itself.

In fact if you go back to the early points made on the original Madeliene thread there was a huge discussion about "Why Madeleine". I'm just suprised that you are asking about the overblown coverage and interest now as if it was something new.

There have been theories along those lines; if not sold, given away by agreement.

I toyed with that theory but it has many holes. My main problem with that is why Madeline ? If you were going to do that, you would be better to take a child that was unlikely to remember. Madeline is too old to secure a happy future with new parents, Amelie on the other hand would not remember. Also remember her eye, that is so very noticible.

That's what I mean, overblown media coverage has been much discussed in forums and indeed the media itself.

In fact if you go back to the early points made on the original Madeliene thread there was a huge discussion about "Why Madeleine". I'm just suprised that you are asking about the overblown coverage now as if it was something new.

It didn't shock me at first because the focus was on making her face known and finding her - fair enough. The last few days it seems more of a 'whodunnit' which seems somehow disrespectful since we still dont know where she is/what happened to her...

It didn't shock me at first because the focus was on making her face known and finding her - fair enough. The last few days it seems more of a 'whodunnit' which seems somehow disrespectful since we still dont know where she is/what happened to her...

But don't you see, it's all the same thing! It was never to do with "finding Madeliene" for the media, it was ALL about stirring up a human interest story that they felt there readers and viewers would take to, and therefore help their circulation or viewership. ALL of this is media driven from the first day.

If the national news hadn't reported it and went big with it, it would be just another tragic story about a family who's girl went missing and would have faded from puplic memory pretty fast.

The current, "did they or didn't" they debate is being fuelled by the media for the exact same reasons, the media's motives haven't changed.

But don't you see, it's all the same thing! It was never to do with "finding Madeliene" for the media, it was ALL about stirring up a human interest story that they felt there readers and viewers would take to, and therefore help their circulation or viewership. ALL of this is media driven from the first day.

If the national news hadn't reported it and went big with it, it would be just another tragic story about a family who's girl went missing and would have faded from puplic memory pretty fast.

The current, "did they or didn't" they debate is being fuelled by the media for the exact same reasons, the media's motives haven't changed.

It may have been to stir up public interest but I don't think it's the case that's it's NEVER been about finding Madeleine.

Can I ask you all, why are you so interested? Is it essentially just rubber necking?

Up to the point when people realised that the McCanns could be guilty of pulling off the most obscene con trick and were put under suspicion it was a case of another missing child to me.

Archived