Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

What has been in the press (not necessarily what the evidence actually it) is that bodily fluids and hair have both been found which show different levels of DNA match to Madeline and also provide evidence that she was dead.

Also from a toxicology test of the bodily fluid it was indicated that there was enough sedative to suggest an over dose.

If either of the samples gave a 100% match on all the genetic locations which are used in a standard DNA test the probability of the material being left by someone other than and unrelated to Madeline is likely stand at over 1 billion to 1.

Of course the fact that the parents had access to the car, and will obviously have similar DNA to Madeline reduce the odds of it being one of them instead. But this would be the first comparison made to ensure it wasn't their DNA. It is also still very very very unlikely that a parent would give the same DNA test result as their offspring.

It is also still very very very unlikely that a parent would give the same DNA test result as their offspring.

It is, however the people we share most of our DNA with are our siblings. I read somewhere that even non-identical siblings can share up to 75% of DNA - so a partial match could be a one of the twins DNA.

It is, however the people we share most of our DNA with are our siblings. I read somewhere that even non-identical siblings can share up to 75% of DNA - so a partial match could be a one of the twins DNA.

It could be you are right, but the impression I have got from the media is that both sources suggest she was dead at the time, and that one is a complete match.

It is still highly unlikely that both alelles at all sites which are available to be tested in a partial match will match a sibling.

The fact it is a partial match suggests that the DNA was too degraded to obtain a full profile, not that some parts didn't match. if some parts don't match then its not a match at all!

The fact it is a partial match suggests that the DNA was too degraded to obtain a full profile, not that some parts didn't match. if some parts don't match then its not a match at all!

That depends on what the testers mean by "partial." If seven alleles are in common (meaning a blood relative), then I'd call that a partial match, as opposed to a non-match where almost nothing was in common. Your interpretation is equally valid semantically, but I don't think it's the one a DNA lab would use.

I read something of interest the other day regarding the upstairs neighbour to the apartment where Madeleine was taken from. Apparently she reported that the night before she disappeared she heard a child crying downstairs for 75 mintes, crying out for their daddy. This would indicate that the night of the disappearance was not the first time that the children had been left alone in the apartment, and also that, certainly the night before, they were not checking their children every 30 minutes as they reported they did on the subsequent night, as the child was left for well over an hour without anyone intervening.

This may lend support to the theory that Madeleine was sedated. If she had had a bad night the previous night, then maybe they decided to help her to sleep? However, the same neighbour also reported hearing child crying on the night of the disappearance. If this had been Madeleine then it would indicate that she can't have been sedated. However, it could of course have been on of the twins.

It's all very mysterious. I read in the paper this morning that Kate's has described in her diary that she often found her children's energy, and in particular Madeleine's relentless activity a strain. That she found it difficult to effectively discipline the children and that Gerry provided her with limited support at home. Of course these are just reports, and I'm sure every mother feels this way from time to time - but again it may provide some indication as to why the children were left in the apartment in the evening?

I was also reading yeaterday,that the apartments in question provide a free babysitting service there.I don't know if this is true,but if it is,surely the parents should have taken advantage of this.

I don't know if it's free, but the resort is aimed at being 'family friendy' and can provide childminding services. However on their salaries I'd hardly think having to pay for childminding would be a problem :confused:

I read something of interest the other day regarding the upstairs neighbour to the apartment where Madeleine was taken from. Apparently she reported that the night before she disappeared she heard a child crying downstairs for 75 mintes, crying out for their daddy. This would indicate that the night of the disappearance was not the first time that the children had been left alone in the apartment, and also that, certainly the night before, they were not checking their children every 30 minutes as they reported they did on the subsequent night, as the child was left for well over an hour without anyone intervening.

The women who was the McCann's upstairs neighbour denies ever saying what the papers have quoted her as saying. She said that she heard a child crying earlier in the afternoon.

Perhaps it needs taking with a pinch of salt what they are releasing about the contents of kates diary.I cant believe even the portugese police would make it public so soon they have only just got hold of it themselves.

That depends on what the testers mean by "partial." If seven alleles are in common (meaning a blood relative), then I'd call that a partial match, as opposed to a non-match where almost nothing was in common. Your interpretation is equally valid semantically, but I don't think it's the one a DNA lab would use.

I'm sorry but I have to say I think you are totally wrong. If a full profile is generated which dioesn't match on all alelles then no DNA lab would call that a partial match - it is clearly not a match as (using your example of 7 locations) 3 locations are different. It is in no way that person's DNA.

A partial match can only be made if it is not possible to determine a profile for a number of locations.

Archived