Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Just one of the big problems about knowing what to believe - there's so many contradictory reports in the press about what people have/haven't said - how do we know whether any of it is true?:huh:

The McCanns never be able to prove their innocence because of all the idle gossip surrounding this case, but they shouldn't have too. The police have to prove their guilt.

Yes, and sadly in this case, it seems to be guilty until proven innocent.

That's not new to this case. The guy they arrested in Suffolk for five murders was hung, drawn and quartered in many sections of the media and general public, even before they arrested and charged a different guy 24 hours later and let the original guy walk free.

I wonder if he's managed to have any sort of a life since.

It may have been to stir up public interest but I don't think it's the case that's it's NEVER been about finding Madeleine.

Come off it, if Madeleine, had been found days after her disappearance, do you really think the media would have been over joyed that Madeleine was actually found,even though it denied them a big circulation grabbing story?:huh:

The media have to earn a living in a cut-throat world-----the public don't HAVE to buy the gutter press.

You make a good point Fareast but the problem is the public aren't as sophisticated as we kept being told by vote winning politicians. The best selling paper in the UK is the Sun, but I think most sane people know that it is not the best publication out there. The other problem is that people still believe what they read in the press, and they still believe that if it's in the press then it must be important.:huh:

true,and as was said to me the other day,has anyone figured out how they got a body into a car boot while under the ever watchfull eye of the world media ? its becoming a farse just to sell papers and fill in the t v news

I agree with your last sentiment, although I say the media attention was a farce from the very beginning.

I think though it's not actually true to say that the Mccanns were actually watched by the media 24/7 throughout the whole 4 weeks. In the early days, yes you could argue that the Mccann's couldn't even move from one building to the next in Praia da Luz without a TV camera tracking their every movement.

There were also the times when the Mccanns put themselves in the spotlight when making their high profile trips.

Having said that though, there was a certain point when the media did lose interest in the case, and the TV camera crews began pulling their camera crews out of Praia da Luz because there were no new developments in the case to report back.

In fact there was a TV news story (can't recall if it was Sky or the BBC) reporting on how quiet Praia da Luz had become after the initial weeks of media interest.

There was a point when in fact NO camera crews were actually left in Praia da Luz. This drop off in interest happened around about the 4 week mark, so in fact it does seem to tie in with the time the Mccann's first hired the car. Now I'm not saying the Mccann's definitley did do what the Portuguese police seem to be implying, but just that it probably was quite possible for the Mccanns to have done a number of things that the media would not have been aware of because their cameras crews and journalist simply weren't there.

Come off it, if Madeleine, had been found days after her disappearance, do you really think the media would have been over joyed that Madeleine was actually found,even though it denied them a big circulation grabbing story?:huh:

Well, yes. They'd just carry on milking the story for all it's worth, from every angle.

But I don't think they're in anyway enjoying the fact that a four year old girl is missing.

Archived