Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

I just feel a lot of people are =against the McCanns and it is all just speculation - This thread has gone round and around in circles ...Fact and Knowledge is one thing - and Speculation is another .......People already pointing the stick ...when in reality - Who know's what has actually happened ....Only Poor little Madeline by the looks of it - and the person involved :(

You see, what I find distasteful is the way in which Robert Murat was seen by some to be a legitimate target of media and public speculation, because he seemed to fit the profile of the creepy stranger and possible Huntley-like kiddie fiddler. People were much more willing to accept him as a possible suspect, and encourage discussion of the case against him, rather than that against the nice, middle class, professional parents.

You're right though, we don't know the facts, and we probably won't know the official details of any forensic evidence until any possible trial. I believe that speculation based on the media coverage is inevitable, and that the parents shouldn't be immune to such speculation simply because of who and what they are, and the fact that most people don't like to contemplate the reality that sometimes parents are involved in such tragic cases.

No, there are people on this thread who've looked at the evidence that's been made available so far (and certainly not just by the tabloid press) and, like everyone else, have speculated about what it could mean.

Why should anyone feel guilty about suspecting the parents? Parents do awful things to their children every day. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was another case of that, although if they are involved, I'd suggest it was more accidental than deliberate.

No, I think there are people on this thread who have looked at the RUMOURS of evidence and then made their minds up. There has never been any official confirmation of the newspaper reports. The 'case' against them seems to be not as strong as most tabloids would have us believe. Now there's a surprise.

I've never believed the parents are involved.

You see, what I find distasteful is the way in which Robert Murat was seen by some to be a legitimate target of media and public speculation, because he seemed to fit the profile of the creepy stranger and possible Huntley-like kiddie fiddler. People were much more willing to accept him as a possible suspect, and encourage discussion of the case against him, rather than that against the nice, middle class, professional parents.

You're right though, we don't know the facts, and we probably won't know the official details of any forensic evidence until any possible trial. I believe that speculation based on the media coverage is inevitable, and that the parents shouldn't be immune to such speculation simply because of who and what they are, and the fact that most people don't like to contemplate the reality that sometimes parents are involved in such tragic cases.

Neither Murat nor the McCanns have deserved the treatment they have received from the tabloids and the public.

No, I think there are people on this thread who have looked at the RUMOURS of evidence and then made their minds up. ...

I don't think you can use the term 'rumour' to describe all of the information now in the public domain. Details have come from 'police sources' and from police briefings.

...I've never believed the parents are involved.

Which is fair enough, but it's about as useful as relying upon 'rumours' in terms of discovering whether or not they were actually involved.

I don't think you can use the term 'rumour' to describe all of the information now in the public domain. Details have come from 'police sources' and from police briefings.

Which is fair enough, but it's about as useful as relying upon 'rumours' in terms of discovering whether or not they were actually involved.

Useful? Odd way of describing my belief that the McCanns are innocent.:huh:

The 'information' that has come from Portugal is REPORTED to come from 'police sources'. Hardly close to being fact. Especially from a country who, when they want to be, are keen to bang on about their privacy laws.

Useful? Odd way of describing my belief that the McCanns are innocent.:huh: ...

I meant that your belief in their innocence is essentially irrelevant to whether or not they're actually involved.

...The 'information' that has come from Portugal is REPORTED to come from 'police sources'. Hardly close to being fact. Especially from a country who, when they want to be, are keen to bang on about their privacy laws.

I never claimed that the evidence presented in the media was 'fact'. I've stated several times, including in a post that you've quoted, that the facts of the case probably won't be revealed until a trial.

However, a fact is that evidence has been submitted for forensic analysis and the results of that analysis, together with 400+ pages of other evidence and reports, have been sufficient for the police to name the McCanns as suspects, and for them to present that file to the judge for further consideration.

My opinion - for what it's worth - is that they are guilty of SOMETHING. Whether it's something not relevant (like, they and their friends are involved in some sort of a swopping circle, or that they customarily 'sedate' their kids) or not, I can't say (not being privy to all the details of the case).

What I DO know is that, if they were completely 'innocent' they would have been far more frank, their stories would add up, and they would be able to provide immediate answers to all questions posed and have ready (and viable) responses to all issues raised.

The fact that they are hesitant (and even contradictory) on certain key issues is what casts doubt on them.

Personally, I do think that the truth will come out in the end. Whatever the outcome, I feel desperately sorry for them. They are in a living nightmare, whatever the truth turns out to be.

I missed this... a very interesting clip. I wonder what experts in body language would make of that.. I'd say he appears to be lying.

Agreed, I'm not saying they're guilty of anything as such, but in terms of body language in this clip he has got almost all the classic marks of someone lying.

Archived