Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

I did point out that I was no expert.

I did point out that I only had an opinion, and no evidence, and that I would find it difficult to make a decision if I were part of a jury.

I am not claiming to know the truth- although you seem very sure that they are innocent.

Does that answer your question?

The point is, they ARE INNOCENT, untill proven guilty.

Re-Read that untill it sinks in.

Personally, I do think that the truth will come out in the end. Whatever the outcome, ...

How apt ..

just when i've pencilled in tonight to watch Naked Gun 33 1/3 tonight starring the honourable OJ Simpson.... just after i've hoped to finish the last few chapters of Moonwalker.

Legally innocent but what about morally?

Aaaahh...... So you concede that they are 'legally innocent' but are 'morally guilty/corrupt'; 'guilty' about what, exactly??

Leaving their kids alone, I'll give you that, but that's called a 'mistake'.

An 'error of judgement'.

a '**** up'.

The 'worst move of their entire lives'.......

Good job you lot are perfect; at least we have a datum to measure ourselves by.

Yet again, well done 'Sheffield (Unbiased) Forum'

Dodger

Can I remind you that rather like the world outside it, the forum is made up of real people with real views and opinions - some of which will inevitably clash. It's not really fair to blame the forum.

Absolutely, I agree.....

I just feel that 'Judge, Jury and Executioner' prevails in this thread.

I honestly believe that Madeleines parents had absolutely NOTHING to do with her death, an opinion based on the facts surrounding her abduction; get it, facts. This thread has gone beyond ghoulish, it has become conspiracy site No.1 to damn the McCann parents in to rotting/flaming eternity for a crime that there is little......cough.....NO.... EVIDENCE..... to blame them for.....

Opinions, to be valid, should be based on reasoned assessment of the pertainent (sp) facts, NOT speculation

The McCanns themselves initiated a very high profile media presence for this story. For 2-3 months they received unquestioning sympathy from almost the entire country. Then some of the circumstantial oddities in their abduction story started to filter back from Portugal. Now, in consequence, lots of people are debating the case for and against them.

It's certainly unusual for a family in a missing child case to recruit a man from a £70k job to be their PR agent - as has just happened with Clarence Mitchell. I don't rule out an unexpected twist in the tale but the one scenario I'm inclined to rule out is the one which the McCanns have been promoting to us: of a predatory stranger entering an unlocked room.

Taking stock in a Time article:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1663733,00.htm

Still, it was somewhat stunning when a YouGov poll published in the Sunday Times of London this week found that only 20% of Britons think Gerry and Kate McCann are completely innocent.

That indicates a huge disconnect between the public and Britain's many and multifaceted newspapers, which are usually adept at playing to their readers' biases. The press here — from populist tabloids to serious-minded dailies — has largely been unswerving in its support of the McCanns.

Archived