Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

As a fitting sequel to this sad story the Daily Express, Daily Star and their Sunday stablemates - are to publish front page apologies to the parents of missing four-year-old Madeleine McCann. The Express and Star will each carry prominent versions of the apology in the morning.

Be interesting to see if the Daily Mail have anything to say about ti.

Here it is:

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/38490

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/32577/Kate-Gerry-McCann-Sorry/

As a fitting sequel to this sad story the Daily Express, Daily Star and their Sunday stablemates - are to publish front page apologies to the parents of missing four-year-old Madeleine McCann. The Express and Star will each carry prominent versions of the apology in the morning.

Is this due to legal pressure, or has some new news come to light?

The McCanns were suing for libel.

This is part of a settlement 'out-of-court'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7303801.stm

So the DailyStar isn't actually voluntarily donating money to their cause.

We have now made a substantial donation to the Madeleine Fund in the hope that it helps efforts to find her.

the only sad thing about this story is that Maddies siblings are still in the 'care' of irresponsible parents.

If the parents were judged as unable to care responsibly for the twins, I'm fairly sure the papers would have mentioned it. The media can't resist feeding the frenzy, can they? :gag: I've seen no information saying that social services have removed the twins, or are involved in their care. If there has been something published along those lines that I've missed, perhaps you'd like to share it with us?

Perhaps the posters on here who have implied the parents involvement on the basis of no evidence whatsoever should also now apologise?

Can't imagine how distressing it must be to lose a daughter an then have the finger pointed at you by people who know nothing about what happened but don't think you look upset enough.

Disgusting.

the only sad thing about this story is that Maddies siblings are still in the 'care' of irresponsible parents.

The 'only' sad thing?:huh:

They made a very bad decision and it can never be condoned but I don't think those twins are suffering at all, apart from missing their sister. The fact that Madeleine is still missing almost a year on is by far the saddest thing. IMO.

I'm pretty sure that if/when Madeleine is found alive she won't still be with foster carers almost a week after being found like Shannon Matthews is.

The press in this country are a disgrace and I think it's great that they've had to apologise.

They printed articles with no evidence to support their claims.

"We acknowledge that there is no evidence whatsoever to support this theory and that Kate and Gerry are completely innocent of any involvement in their daughter's disappearance."

Maybe papers will think twice before making up their stories to sell their papers in future.

Perhaps the posters on here who have implied the parents involvement on the basis of no evidence whatsoever should also now apologise?

Can't imagine how distressing it must be to lose a daughter an then have the finger pointed at you by people who know nothing about what happened but don't think you look upset enough.

Disgusting.

Whilst I deplore the actions of the papers the parents are still official subjects so the apology & pay out I believe is premature. The papers should have promised to pay out on their name being cleared.

What if Shannon's stepfather had had the money to sue for defamation of character and then the public had found out his uncle was involved there would have been uproar- double standards again me thinks!

Archived